Ex RAC vans

Rosie2023

Hi there everyone,

I’m looking to purchase a ex rac van, and was just wondering where people are buying them from. I have seen champion motor company in Newport sell them. Can you buy them straight from the leasing company??

Thanks for any help

Mark

Enter ‘RAC’ and you‘ll find some links to ex RAC van owners.
Enter ‘Yellow’ and you might find a few more.
When I’ve been looking for a cheaper than average car I have noticed that there seem to be loads of dealers in South Wales dealing with ex auction and trade in vehicles.

Yes I have seen them online, but I didn’t know where they get them from ??
They buy them from auctions, Manheim used to do commercials here in Berkeley, but that site closed down.

this sort of thing:

The vans are managed by Novuna (formerly Hitachi leasing) and they generally appear to auction them off roughly after 5 years service (regardless of mileage) from my research. A lot of them seem to go through the Merthyr Tydfil fleet auctions which might explain why there are a lot in Wales. Some of the dealers like Champion and Avondale claim to source them direct from the leasing company.

Guy a few doors up works for the RAC and after seeing what he has to carry around everyday I personally wouldn't touch one.

Mine hasn’t been trouble free, but was still good value in the current climate. It might be a Startline, but it’s a T32, EURO6, 6 Speed, 150bhp and comes with air con, electric folding mirrors, arm rests, tailgate, tow bar and the multi-function steering wheel. The service history I have is pretty impressive and I got a 6 month warranty that’s helped to cover the alternator, driveshafts and front oil seal that all needed sorting - they certainly have a tough life!!

Hi there everyone,

I’m looking to purchase a ex rac van, and was just wondering where people are buying them from. I have seen champion motor company in Newport sell them. Can you buy them straight from the leasing company??

Thanks for any help

Mark
I bought one from Champion in August 2022. Make sure you check the van inside and out. It wasn't until we ripped out all the interior (they leave all the RAC tool racks and stuff in, so you have to do it yourself) remove all the interior panels and check for damage. Wasn't until my conversion company Jaibow Campers started with the sound proofing and insulation when they found panel damage to pretty much all the panels. Don't forget ex RAC vans were working vehicles and will no doubt have had a fairly hard life, even though low mileage and sold on after 5 years.
I don't regret buying it. Just want to make you aware that you need to check the bodywork with a keen eye. I didn't.

My brother worked for the RAC, he said one of the problems is the mechanics will sit in the van with the engine running all day to keep warm in the winter, not sure how healthy that is for the engine. That said many on here don't use their van for weeks at a time and I can't believe that good for them either. I guess if the price is right you have some funds to fix any issues

Hi
Hi there everyone,

Thanks for any help

Mark
Hi Mark,

To be honest if I didn’t go to buy mine on auction @ MMA auction in Merthyr, I will probably go with Champion motor company.. they have more details and log history..

Fed

I was thinking, the ex RAC van owners should form the Repurposed Auto Campers club, and put those letters on the side of the van!

Though you might get people stopping to ask you advice on their broken down vehicle...

Back