Essential Work And Corona Virus.

trust me @cgtmiles .....I'm a bl**dy caveman these days! I used to devour newspapers and watch the news.....changed my mind about all that stuff after a bit of work related unpleasantness a few years ago when my former profession was trashed by certain sections of the media....and it was scandalous!:mad:

My firm is still open, it's been soft up to us to decide, only 2 full timers are in rest self employed.

Now there is a massive row because we have all filled out furlough paperwork but not sure we are going to be paid.

There is no way we can operate the 2m rule travelling in the van and moving items, feel for my boss who is worried about the future but it's simple.

Stay at home to save lives, removals is not essential at the moment.

Stay safe everyone.

@Jay, what PPE would you need? If the occupiers are not in the room with you, what is the risk?
Think about forensic officers and transfer of evidence - taking a leaf out of their book on evidential retrieval and contamination of crime scenes is probably a good base.

I’m in no way qualified in this field but think it goes further than gloves - for indoor work I’d be wearing a disposable paper suit, goggles and a filter mask.

Even though the WHO say the droplets are too heavy to remain in the air for the three hours the mainstream media are reporting, I’d be erring one the side of caution if I was self-employed.
After all, you only get one chance at life. So if you must continue working, why not take all the precautions you can.

..... here in Italy we are now 11000 dead ... in addition to the elderly, also young people .... continuing with work when the virus arrived was devastating for the infection ... you can choose between money or risk getting infected .... see you

I whole heartedly agree with this well said.

..... here in Italy we are now 11000 dead ... in addition to the elderly, also young people .... continuing with work when the virus arrived was devastating for the infection ... you can choose between money or risk getting infected .... see you

Can't add to that how well put.

Currently work in domestic properties fixing boilers. Only PPE we have is gloves. Customers are asked on phone if anyone is isolating or shielding. Pretty sure company are required by law to provide appropriate PPE, but they can't get any. I can refuse to work but wont get paid. Absolute joke.

@Jay , what PPE would you need? If the occupiers are not in the room with you, what is the risk?

Seriously, don't want to offend, but look up the WHO guidelines. Washing hands when entering and leaving, keeping distance from occupiers, should be sufficient. It's not like Tesco, where the checkout staff have a stream of strangers in front of them.

Edited to say: sorry, don't mean to sound callous. There is a lot of fear, understandable of course. No-one would willingly subject themselves to a 1% chance of dying. But you are providing an essential service, just as the supermarket workers are doing. Have a proper research, re-assure yourself, and take sensible precautions. Forewarned is forearmed, or something like that!

Stay safe,
CAB.

I run a property maintenance company, we are currently running with 1 gas engineer, 1 sparks, 1 plumber, 1 chippy all on double time and only attending emergencies. (We usually run with 75+ staff)

We struggled to get appropriate PPE so we call 15 mins in advance of attendance, ask tenants to go to an alternate room and close the door, we wipe down all intercom buttons, door handles, hard surfaces on the way/out, frequent hand washing etc.

The tenants have a right to heating/hot water/electric and sanitation, it really is essential work for the guys on call.

We usually cover about 800 requests a month, if this situation goes on until September I dread to think how we'll ever catch up with the backlog of work.

Wow....a real mixed bag....including one from our future (dear god, I hope not!). So....top and bottom of it would appear to be down to your own interpretation of Government guidance and/or your own conscience. Like I said....my interests are secondary to the national interest, BUT......and it's a big BUT.....economic paralysis is also catastrophic! Wee Krankie and Boris need to talk to each other!!:unsure:

Reactions: CAB
I’m sorry but this is wrong, I understand the worry about what people say on Facebook etc but Facebook et al is full of SHIT! Facebook and Twitter are places where people who have no right to have an opinion have their opinion ranked at the same level as those with a deep understanding of the issue and this is the result.

I say close your Facebook accounts, stop looking at tabloid newspaper comments. And live your lives using your conscience as a maker.

Government rules are that you can work if you can work safely and travel to work if you can’t do it from home, end of.

(written by someone who also has no right to opinion on this subject)
I've never had a Facebook or twitter account :thumbsup:

Our milkman is still delivering!

There has been a surge in demand for doorstep milk deliveries, was a milkman for a while in 1989/90 and would not want to be out there doing it now.

Appreciate that this would help a lot of elderly people at the moment.

Wow....a real mixed bag....including one from our future (dear god, I hope not!). So....top and bottom of it would appear to be down to your own interpretation of Government guidance and/or your own conscience. Like I said....my interests are secondary to the national interest, BUT......and it's a big BUT.....economic paralysis is also catastrophic! Wee Krankie and Boris need to talk to each other!!:unsure:
Sorry have to laugh.....Wee Krankie and Boris..don’t start them off again....Politics you can laugh at...and Corbin saying I told you so...But if we had one joint approach ...we could all work out what where supposed to do
Ok guys and girls what ever you do ..Stay Safe:thumbsup:

Yeah I use a blue inhaler every now and again. But recently I haven't had to use it at all

That's really interesting. I use a steroid preventer called Symbicort. I used to use the Ventolin as a kid, but moved to Symbicort about 10 years ago when I had a bad asthma attack in France and the GP there prescribed that. I haven't needed to use anything at all over the last week or so, which is totally out of character. I wonder if it's the reduction in traffic.

It's funny you should say that as I carry my blue one with me at all times and like yourself never really used it at all. I,m in either a container lifter or a freight train and I have the window open all the time. The social distance thing is easy for me as we have 3 day shift guys and 3 night shift guys and out of all only 1 guy smokes. Roll ups. But it's never in the machine and the machines are wiped down before and after every shift too. Plus I always wear my mountain bike summer gloves. My wee girl who is 4 had to get a blue inhaler with a big plastic thing she has just been told a few weeks ago that she can stop using it. But we,ll just keep it handy. Asthma attacks aren,t nice. At all. But we will overcome this virus maybe not tomorrow but hopefully soon. Stay safe, stay fit, .

I have elderly neighbours within a few doors from my house and today three of them had different gardeners turn up cutting lawns etc.
The householders are remaining indoors whilst the gardeners carry on, no contact and well over 2m apart. Essential work? If you're self employed with a family to support then I guess I would say it was essential.

Back