Errr Don't know how to explain this...

Jonny

204PS/Highline/Kombi/LWB/T32
T6 Guru
So cut a short enough story shorter...I went through a flood so deep the water came out of my vents on the dash. Mainly above the wheel arch on the passenger side. The fan doesn't sound great when I'm reversing.

The question is...how much electrical stuff is in that part of the van?

The main vents didn't get crazy affected. I only noticed moister more than anything but the above the wheel arch it was like a water fall.

Upside to this story though...I went back to the flooded area to try and find my number plate and plastic covers that got ripped off and saw a brand new Merc Vito being towed out by the AA. Engine totally died...so, VW- 1 Merc-0.

I have the most amazing visions of water shooting out of your dash lol just hope its not as bad as it could be mate

Careful going through floods like that in a diesel - diesels don't like getting water in them and usually try and compress it and resulting in bent engine parts.
I learned the expensive way and wrote off an 18 month old diesel Passat in a 12" water a few years back .

Careful going through floods like that in a diesel - diesels don't like getting water in them and usually try and compress it and resulting in bent engine parts.
I learned the expensive way and wrote off an 18 month old diesel Passat in a 12" water a few years back .
Ahhh man, well she's still running. I've put 200 miles on the clock since this morning but the fan doesn't sound too healthy. After @StudleyGlass posting the pic of what could be affected, I have to book the van in for a check up. Fingers crossed it ain't too bad.

If its still running with no warning lights then its highly likely no electrics were affected, one thing VW are good at is wiring and connectors, everything underneath and in the engine bay has waterproof rubber seals on every wire where they enter the plug so hopefully this did the trick
I can see you have LED level sensors in your photo assuming they still auto level when you key on theres a good example of the resilience of the connections as that would have been very submerged

If its still running with no warning lights then its highly likely no electrics were affected, one thing VW are good at is wiring and connectors, everything underneath and in the engine bay has waterproof rubber seals on every wire where they enter the plug so hopefully this did the trick
I can see you have LED level sensors in your photo assuming they still auto level when you key on theres a good example of the resilience of the connections as that would have been very submerged

Awesome stuff, cheers @Pauly

I don't have LEDs though...does this mean I can plug and play with a LED retrofit?

No @carlg , i have the rear aircon./heater controls there but i like it the way it is now really . I do like the top cover for the storage place like you have done but i dont think i am up for that job :unsure:

20170723_094822.jpg

Back