Engine 'squeaking' Noise When Cold.

Andy Power

T6 Pro
Just noticed when I start up my T6 from cold a squeaking noise comes from the engine, I noticed this the other day when I had my driver side window open (can't hear it when closed) after a run and my van warms up it seems to disappear... Any clues?

Aux belt, a good spray with some silicone spry will cure that..

Aux belt, a good spray with some silicone spry will cure that..

Thanks for getting back to me... I was worried in case it was the timing belt (I have no idea what it is but have been told anything with timing belts is expensive) --- my T6 is a December 2016 so is well within the guarantee I guess.
Where is the Aux belt?

try to put talc on the service belt, from the inside, the one that is in contact with the pulleys ... otherwise it is the bearing of the belt tensioner ...

Thanks for getting back to me... I was worried in case it was the timing belt (I have no idea what it is but have been told anything with timing belts is expensive) --- my T6 is a December 2016 so is well within the guarantee I guess.
Where is the Aux belt?
Aux_belt+oil_leak.jpg
May be easiest way to see aux belt is from front right wheel well.

And, you should not see oil behind and below the pulley as in the picture. In my case when VW repaired the oil leak they noticed that timing belt and tensioner were mentioned in their service bulletin needing replacement.

Thank you so so much for this - I'm going to take it into the VW garage and mention the timing belt and tensioner may need replacing as it's mentioned in their service bulletin.... I'm not mechanically minded whatsoever so will play it safe and let the garage deal with it.... Very kind of you to take the time and trouble :)

Reactions: mmi
I called the garage and they mentioned the timing belt tensioner service bulletin they said it would take about an hour to do, they booked me in for two weeks time
Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Reactions: mmi
That sounds very quick for a timing belt tensioner change / adjustment. Does anyone have a link to this service bulletin?

Is it when you’re idling or 1st gear when pulling away? Mine squeaked as I pull away when cold but stops when taking my foot off the accelerator. It did it since new but VW apparently couldn’t replicate it when I returned it...3 times.

I called the garage and they mentioned the timing belt tensioner service bulletin they said it would take about an hour to do, they booked me in for two weeks time
Hopefully this will resolve the problem.
Hi @Andy Power , problem resolved?

My 204 (Nov 2016) was in for a routine service last week (42k) and the tech picked up on a noisy tensioner, i'd never heard it, but as it's covered by warranty i'll have it fixed.
It's gone in today and had a Aux belt tensioner replaced, that's hasn't cured the problem, so it's now staying in overnight for a tensioner on the cam belt doing, he did say there is quite a few recalls on the tensioners at present. Might be worth a check with you local VW centre, when one fails they tend to make a bit of mess :eek:

Is it when you’re idling or 1st gear when pulling away? Mine squeaked as I pull away when cold but stops when taking my foot off the accelerator. It did it since new but VW apparently couldn’t replicate it when I returned it...3 times.

mine is the same as this, it’s not really worrying as it stops after 5 mins. But did you ever get an answer to this?

try to put talc on the service belt, from the inside, the one that is in contact with the pulleys ... otherwise it is the bearing of the belt tensioner ...
could you elaborate on this ? I've just noticed mine squeeking on start up, I've not exactly mechanically inclined but I'm happy to give it a crack if it means not another trip to a mechanic

Back