Engine rattle under load

ShooglyStu

T6 Pro
Hi All, new owner of a 6 year old T6 with the 102PS engine here. What I have noticed most about this van is a harsh rattling sound from the engine when flooring the accelerator in 4th or 5th gear. The resulting acceleration is not exactly impressive either. Are these observations normal or could they be caused by something wrong? Any advice on what to investigate or whether I need to reset my expectations much appreciated, thanks.

It’s a heavy brick shaped object with a 102ps engine, nobody can verify the performance from a written description but try getting a drive in another 102ps van and compare.

Hi All, new owner of a 6 year old T6 with the 102PS engine here. What I have noticed most about this van is a harsh rattling sound from the engine when flooring the accelerator in 4th or 5th gear. The resulting acceleration is not exactly impressive either. Are these observations normal or could they be caused by something wrong? Any advice on what to investigate or whether I need to reset my expectations much appreciated, thanks.
I have the 102ps engine and yeah it is noisy, especially if working hard.
At the end of the day it’s a camper - not really designed to be racing round.

The kicker for me is having to change down on long hills, especially if loaded.

Did look at a Revo or similar tune up but then you have to consider the dual mass flywheel and gearbox and if they can take the tune and the driving style that will follow!

It’s a heavy brick shaped object with a 102ps engine, nobody can verify the performance from a written description but try getting a drive in another 102ps van and compare.

This is good advice. Whereabouts in the UK are you @ShooglyStu ?

Pete

I have the 102ps engine and yeah it is noisy, especially if working hard.
At the end of the day it’s a camper - not really designed to be racing round.

The kicker for me is having to change down on long hills, especially if loaded.

Did look at a Revo or similar tune up but then you have to consider the dual mass flywheel and gearbox and if they can take the tune and the driving style that will follow!
Thanks for confirming that the 102PS engine is inherently noisy. I will not be doing any tuning/remap as this can only make it more noisy, instead I will be looking at fitting some extra sound insulation in the cab.

This is what it sounds like. Recorded in the engine bay, so quite a lot of road noise in the background.

Sounds like a diesel engine, normal if you ask me.
Have a Search with ‘scuttle sound deadening ‘ if you want to reduce the cab noise level.

I have concluded that it is normal for this engine, presumably not common rail multiple injection for commercial engines?

As for noise, the loudest source of noise (at 50-70mph) is not the engine but is road noise from the rear wheels transmitted through the rear load floor.

Back