Engine Loosening Up?

XZO

T6 Pro
I bought my 68plate 150 DSG Caravelle with 8,750 miles on the clock and it drove very well. However I have now covered 10,500 with the last 1,000 or so whizzing around France and since I have been back the engine seems much 'free-er' and lively, almost raring to go.

Am I imagining this or can an engine do this? It also went through 2 re-gen cycles while on holiday and I am still using French Total diesel. I know it is lighter now, we had 5 people and loads of luggage etc but I am trying to allow for that in my less than objective assessment. Before we went to France I was also using Premium fuel and I have the feeling most of it's previous use was around London as a courtesy vehicle for customers as it was registered to Bentley Cars.

That's pretty normal, a really good long run does an engine a world of good!

Very normal.... a new engine will feel tight for the first 4-8k depending on how its driven...

The last 3 Transporters have been around the 5-8k mark before they noticeably loosen up.....

It's just a case of it bedding itself it and wearing the new tolerances in.

So normal IMHO.

Reactions: XZO
Just my personal opinion but I think it’s likely they install software that changes power characteristics during the run in phase.

I base this on being lucky enough to have a new VW/Audi group car every 3 months and I am convinced that there was a point where they ‘stepped up’ and became more drivable.

Whilst they couldn’t reduce outright power (that would be illegal) it would be possible to design a fuel curve that didn’t get you there unless you really worked hard for it. It would be easily enough to build this into the software rather than ask the driver to take it easy with varying results dependant on what size should he wore.

Just my thoughts really, but I am convinced that at 6,000miles (10k km) there was a definite improvement and maybe again at a later stage although I never got that far mileage wise.

Coming from a software background I can see how they could program in a set of parameters as you suggest. The 'sudden' change in improved performance is why I posted, it has been as though a switch has been thrown. I wonder whether VW have programmed in something. I would be surprised if they have especially after the diesel-gate situation.

However, I am very happy with the result.,

I've been thinking similar in mine but it's just rolled over the 13k mark. Definitely more economical recently.

I had a 68 Velle 150 DSG for about 2 months before it got changed for an identical 19 plate.

The first one had about 6.5k miles when I got it. At first it was showing mid to late 30mpg, but at 10k+ it had upped to early 40's. I thought this could be down to me learning how to drive it, however the 19 plate Velle has done 7k miles and my mpg is down to late 30's again.

That did cross my mind, about the learning to drive it. I'm obviously a slow learner if so! The thing is that there are so many variables and as with everything it's probably a combination of them.

Back