Engine Light Of Doom... DPF

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
As title really, was driving steadily through town here and aware that the engine was going through a regen as the revs stayed just under 1,000 rpm at the various traffic lights.What can you do though apart from grin and bear it as short of screaming the engine while slipping the clutch like a pensioners Micra in a Waitrose car park it's difficult to get the exhaust hot enough to cremate soot?

At this point things improved massively when the orange engine shaped icon popped up on the dashboard to tell me that a run up the Autobahn at 150 mph might make the DPF happy but wasn't going to stop the tell tale light hounding me to an early grave.

Got back home, read the handbook and apparently this engine shaped icon is to do with the exhaust but not specifically the DPF bringing myself to ask does the team think it's about time I got some sort of ECU reading device to find out what has happened or do I just throw myself off the top of the van and end it all?

Van's running fine BTW no limp home nonsense just this latest sodding light after a week of driving around with an Adblu message which finally went away yesterday... there's plenty of Adblu onboard BTW.

VW assist or do I have to bend over at the local dealership, cheers?:unsure:

Carista or VCDS will give you an idea what the van is moaning about . . . (it will most likely be emissions related (EGR/DPF/AdBlu))

Carista - How I Done It -

Vcds / Vagcom - How I Done It -

heres a list of VW warnings : Car Warning Lights | Volkswagen UK

all that aside just call out VW assist first, if the light stays on . . . they can scan it for you at your leisure/work/home.

emissions-control-lamp-icon.jpg
Roadside assistance: 0870 333 0475
1. Does the lamp flash or light permanently?

Permanently: Remove the key for 30 seconds then refit and start the engine. Go to step 2.

Flash: Go to step 2.

2. Is the vehicle vibrating and down on power?
Yes: Contact roadside assistance.

No: Go to step 3.

3. Can you take it to an authorised repairer safely?
Yes: Take caution while driving to an authorised repairer.

No: Please contact roadside assistance on 0870 333 0475

Volkswagen Roadside Assistance | VW Vans

The engine lamp in my case was a faulty DPF pressure sensor.
I called out VW Assist who initially offered an AA man but I declined the offer and said I would be happy to wait for a VW man, he came and fixed the sensor at home and performed a forced regen to clear the flashing coil light as well.

Very happy as it would have been 3 weeks before the dealer could take it.

Cheers gents, as a practising coward I've passed this one on to the boss and she's going to call VW Assistance in the morning, they replaced the Moll battery back in May so we might be lucky.

Cheers, Dave.

Well the wife has got it sorted again, although it meant losing the van for a while I've now had the vans DPF flushed... apparently the exhaust is taken off and something like Cilit Bang or Vanish is squirted through it followed by a rinse before refitting.

Here's a thing though, nosing under the bonnet yesterday with the van back there's a new length of metal tube with a corrugated section fitted behind and parallel to the radiator that connects into the soft plastic intercooler intake hose. Not sure but guessing it might be from the EGR as it's connected to the intake hose but I thought the exhaust side of the engine was against the bulkhead... showing my ignorance here!

Either way the engine doesn't actually feel anymore powerful than it did prior to visiting Vindis Northampton but it seems to spin up really quickly now and feels really light and revvy in a good way, like the difference between a busy 16 and slightly more sluggish 8 valve engine.

One other occurrence was the service sheet showing the vehicle mileage being higher than that shown on the vans Speedo and I'm hoping this is a mistake or is vehicle mileage recorded on the ECU as there's a 15k discrepancy and that can't be good.o_O

Sounds like they have replaced one of the EGR pipes as part of the works...

No sure about the milage tho.

One other occurrence was the service sheet showing the vehicle mileage being higher than that shown on the vans Speedo and I'm hoping this is a mistake or is vehicle mileage recorded on the ECU as there's a 15k discrepancy and that can't be good.o_O

From memory on my last car, VCDS recorded all speed and distance measurements in KM, even when displaying miles, so that may explain a discrepancy in the numbers.

Converting the mileage reading from kms to miles certainly gets the mileometer display a bit closer as the speedo has 39,000 miles and the service sheet 53,000 miles although that comes to just under 33,000 miles converting from 53,000 as kms instead so still not black and white.

The wife tried calling the dealership yesterday with no luck but I'm off work so will drop in and get clarification, worst case would be that somewhere between the first owner and the converter, it's a camper, that some mileage may have been inadvertantly lost... o_O:cautious:

The pipe is very similar but about 300mm long and virtually below the bonnet release, tucked horizontally between the engine block and the engine bay side of the radiator about 200mm below the slam panel.

Thinking about it I have the less than fire breathing 102 hp diesel if that's a different layout to you power crazed 204 hp boys!

It can be a bit Chinese whispers when you talk to the person on the service desk rather than the actual mechanic doing the job but the VW Assist engineer had flagged the DPF as being clogged and the service desk manager at the main dealer had indicated that they would remove that and flush with chemicals rather than simply force regens.

Now I've typed that it begs the question why didn't the VW Assist engineer force a regen, maybe there's a point where ash can't be burned out of existence and still forms a blockage? I'll have to post the engineers sheet on here later.

Going back to the pipe and it's a new item with that bronze finish you get on some wood screws, gleaming, strange the dealer never mentioned the new part but that's between them and VW I guess?

The regen turns to soot into ash... (in the dpf)

The ash will build up and eventually block the dpf.... but that's at 120k miles according to VW.

It seems like a lot if issues are egr soot/carbon build up.

my VW Assist engineer said I was just below the max ash threshold for a forced roadside regen so he was able to do it.

I reckon you've already cracked it gents, got the paperwork here now from Vindis, N'pton and it was a warranty repair, to quote, Inv eml- carried out gff, EGR insufficient detected-p040100, requires an EGR flush.W

I'll be honest unless they replated the pipe after flushing it it looks like a new part to me.

Either way all happy again so a new PM and hard Brexit should be a piece of cake!

20190720_144859.jpg

Yup, that is the EGR pipe that goes from the cooler that they flushed to the inlet manifold.
upload_2019-7-24_17-33-5.png

Last edited:
Yup, that is the EGR pipe that goes from the cooler that they flushed to the inlet manifold.
View attachment 47833

Hi everyone
I’ve Just joined this forum to get some opinions on the reliability of the T6.

I bought a new campervan in September 2017 on a T6 T28 Euro 6 102 hp transporter and had the dreaded engine management light come on 300 miles from home, after 18000 miles, mainly 70mph driving on motorways.
VW Assist mechanic said it was the EGR valve so took it to VW Vans Wrexham who flushed it through.
The technician who normally looks after my cars said it was a common problem and they just keep failing and that once out of warranty VW will not flush it but will insist on selling me a new one for hundreds of pounds.

Any truth in this? Has anyone else had EGR valves keep failing, and are these vans generally reliable, or should I have bought a transit based camper? ( just asking, as I bought VW based upon the whole VW camper family ethos)

Hi everyone
I’ve Just joined this forum to get some opinions on the reliability of the T6.

I bought a new campervan in September 2017 on a T6 T28 Euro 6 102 hp transporter and had the dreaded engine management light come on 300 miles from home, after 18000 miles, mainly 70mph driving on motorways.
VW Assist mechanic said it was the EGR valve so took it to VW Vans Wrexham who flushed it through.
The technician who normally looks after my cars said it was a common problem and they just keep failing and that once out of warranty VW will not flush it but will insist on selling me a new one for hundreds of pounds.

Any truth in this? Has anyone else had EGR valves keep failing, and are these vans generally reliable, or should I have bought a transit based camper? ( just asking, as I bought VW based upon the whole VW camper family ethos)
all modern derv`s are effected depending on your driving style . . . .

all EGR`s can be cleaned out/flushed . . . . . but its a timely process . . . So out of warrenty all Main dealers will try to sell you a new one.

some people get the new one fitted . . . . but keep the old one and get it flushed/cleaned . . . . (so it can be re-fitted next time)

more info:

Dfp Regen, Yellow Light & Adblue - Whats It All About? -

and :

all modern derv`s are effected depending on your driving style . . . .

all EGR`s can be cleaned out/flushed . . . . . but its a timely process . . . So out of warrenty all Main dealers will try to sell you a new one.

some people get the new one fitted . . . . but keep the old one and get it flushed/cleaned . . . . (so it can be re-fitted next time)

more info:

Dfp Regen, Yellow Light & Adblue - Whats It All About? -

and :

Thanks very much for this, and for the video link. I guess they get bunged up a lot more than the motor manufacturers would have you believe.

Morning, I had my EGR pipe replaced on my 204 Swb Kombi about 2,000 miles back.
There had been the flashing glow plug light on a couple of times which apparently pointed to the system needing to be flushed.
Fast forward to a week or two back on a long journey back from France and the light comes back on flashing again..
Popped it back into the dealers and they said it needs flushing again. Which they've done and will be ready in a few hours.
Begs the question though, in a couple of months time when the Warranty is out and it happens again..

Back