Engine failure

Krob

Hi
Just thought I needed to let every one know
That I have a 204 67 plate transporter which has had to go in for three erg flushs up to October 20 ?.
Then I started getting high oil consumption and smoke under acceleration ,nearly out of warranty I decided to get one year extended through vw?
Come January it was using 1 ltr of oil every 350 to 400 miles so i booked it in to vw for a oil consumption test?
IT FAILD? Four weeks later it has had a new Engine, dpf, cat etc but no ERG.
Two weeks after getting my van back and running it in, the engine management light came on? Fault ERG again ,now I'm told that instead of another flush it needs a new ERG as the coolant side is letting coolant into the valve turning into gel and causing a flow issue ? Luckily it's getting done on a good will?
From what I understand this is the common problem that caused the 180 bi turbos engines to fail?
Maybe I've just been unlucky?
If anyone else keeps getting told just to have there ERG flushed please question this?
All the best krob

Sorry to hear about your challenges.
What's the mileage of the van, manual or DSG, 4Motion?
The root cause of the high oil consumption still unknown?
Anyways thanks for sharing.

Hi
Just thought I needed to let every one know
That I have a 204 67 plate transporter which has had to go in for three erg flushs up to October 20 ?.
Then I started getting high oil consumption and smoke under acceleration ,nearly out of warranty I decided to get one year extended through vw?
Come January it was using 1 ltr of oil every 350 to 400 miles so i booked it in to vw for a oil consumption test?
IT FAILD? Four weeks later it has had a new Engine, dpf, cat etc but no ERG.
Two weeks after getting my van back and running it in, the engine management light came on? Fault ERG again ,now I'm told that instead of another flush it needs a new ERG as the coolant side is letting coolant into the valve turning into gel and causing a flow issue ? Luckily it's getting done on a good will?
From what I understand this is the common problem that caused the 180 bi turbos engines to fail?
Maybe I've just been unlucky?
If anyone else keeps getting told just to have there ERG flushed please question this?
All the best krob
I have a 2016 180ps so I did some research before I purchased.
The 180ps was fixed with the introduction of the Revision D EGR cooler, prior to that aluminium corrosion within the cooler allowed aluminium oxide particles to enter the cylinder bores and cause abrasive damage. Aluminium oxide being the same material used in sand paper!
I’ve read about EGR flushes done in situ’ and it doesn’t seem like a very safe method as the components can’t be stripped and inspected after chemical treatment.
If I were faced with EGR issues I would be looking to purchase a replacement and then strip and clean the unit that was removed.

Only 42000,manual ,they said the rings had FAILD?
Wow, that's indeed a premature failure. One wouldn't expect piston rings to fail nowadays. Interesting to see if there will be more cases... mine is also 204... 32000 miles :eek:

Mines a 17' 204 DSG, which so far has had a pretty long list of engine / egr / dpf issues; other than that it's a lovely van, but very disappointing that for the best part of £35k brand new it is pretty much busted at 40k miles. Maybe time to buy a T4 again!

Mines a 17 204 and I keep getting engine management light warnings triggered from the egr. It’s going into the mechanic in a few weeks see if he can find the problem

Mines a 17 204 and I keep getting engine management light warnings triggered from the egr. It’s going into the mechanic in a few weeks see if he can find the problem
By all accounts they took some censors
Out of the erg and that's were they found the coolant which apparently turns to a gel causing the fault light to come on?
If that's the case you need a new erg and not a flush?

Please keep us informed.

Reactions: mmi
Back