1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine bay cable route

Discussion in 'Electrics, Lighting, ICE' started by MartyMoose, 8 Jan 2017.

1. MartyMoose

MartyMoose Member VIP Member

Map
    I'm looking to run a cable from the main battery into the cabin. Anyone know if there is an easy route through, maybe using an existing path, or do I have to think about drilling a new hole in the engine bay bulkhead (gulp). Any advice much appreciated.

2. T6 Dave

T6 Dave Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Hi @MartyMoose have you considered under vehicle route into seat area:thumbsdown::thumbsup:

3. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member Admin Moderator VCDS User

Map
    You dont need to drill anything, there are existing holes blanked of with rubber grommets already there that you can use
    If you go under the glovebox and pop the lower panel off and fold the edge of the flooring back if you look back and up under the outside edge of glovebox you should be able to see one, this hole brings you out behind battery/below scuttle tray

T6 Dave likes this.
  4. MartyMoose

Map
    Sounds perfect. I'll have a look. Many thanks.

5. Fish

Fish Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    This may help

SDC10903.jpg

6. RattyMcClelland

RattyMcClelland Senior Member T6 Guru

Behind the battery and up the a pillar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T6 Dave and Pauly like this.
  7. MartyMoose

Map
    Thanks for the suggestions. Went @Pauly's route in the end as it was then fairly easy to get the cable behind the dash, under the floor mat and end up at the driver's seat where I have located my leisure battery and Ctek D250s. Job done.

8. T6 Dave

Map
    @MartyMoose pics,pics,pics please:) Looking at the 250 myself when I finally get my paws on mine.:whistle: Might be worth a write up if you've the time?;):):whistle::thumbsup::sleep:

9. MartyMoose

Map
    Okdk. Will do. Might have to wait till I can get some decent daylight on the subject.

10. travelvolts

travelvolts Member Trade Member

Don't forget to also run an ignition supply for the relay at your D250S.

11. T6 Dave

Map
    Many thanks @MartyMoose , appreciate any & all info. :):thumbsup:

12. T6 Dave

Map
    Also, remember when routing cables, this is a main battery cable, and footfall can damage the insulation and lead to an electrical fire, even though it's under the carpet. :thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistle: You can actually "weld" with a pair of heavy duty cables and a battery:eek:

13. travelvolts

If you run your cables under the black plastic tunnel it should stay well clear of any feet.
    [​IMG]

And this grommet is the simplest route to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T6 Dave likes this.
  14. MartyMoose

Map
    Appreciate the comments about routing under the mats but I'm actually following the existing cable routes in the floor channels. The cable is also fused at the battery.

Where exactly is that Grommet? It might be useful for future reference, for me and others. Thanks.

T6 Dave likes this.
  15. travelvolts

As already stated by Paul, remove glove box and fold rubber don away from wheel arch. Grommet is just above.

T6 Dave likes this.
  16. T6 Dave

Map
    Many thanks to @travelvolts :thumbsup: and @MartyMoose :thumbsup: for the start of a good thread with great info:thumbsup::), as well as everyone else's contributions:thumbsup:, I for one appreciate the time and effort taken, and can now envisage what I'm going to be doing to my pride and joy, as still in the planning & dreaming stage prior to delivery:whistle::). Could I ask for a pic of the D250s instal and relay as well if possible:thumbsdown::thumbsup: