Engine bay cable route through bulkhead/firewall

MartyMoose

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm looking to run a cable from the main battery into the cabin. Anyone know if there is an easy route through, maybe using an existing path, or do I have to think about drilling a new hole in the engine bay bulkhead (gulp). Any advice much appreciated.

You dont need to drill anything, there are existing holes blanked of with rubber grommets already there that you can use
If you go under the glovebox and pop the lower panel off and fold the edge of the flooring back if you look back and up under the outside edge of glovebox you should be able to see one, this hole brings you out behind battery/below scuttle tray

Thanks for the suggestions. Went @Pauly's route in the end as it was then fairly easy to get the cable behind the dash, under the floor mat and end up at the driver's seat where I have located my leisure battery and Ctek D250s. Job done.

@MartyMoose pics,pics,pics please:) Looking at the 250 myself when I finally get my paws on mine.:whistle: Might be worth a write up if you've the time?;):):whistle::thumbsup::sleep:

Okdk. Will do. Might have to wait till I can get some decent daylight on the subject.

Also, remember when routing cables, this is a main battery cable, and footfall can damage the insulation and lead to an electrical fire, even though it's under the carpet. :thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistle: You can actually "weld" with a pair of heavy duty cables and a battery:eek:

Reactions: JOG
Appreciate the comments about routing under the mats but I'm actually following the existing cable routes in the floor channels. The cable is also fused at the battery.

Where exactly is that Grommet? It might be useful for future reference, for me and others. Thanks.

Many thanks to @travelvolts :thumbsup: and @MartyMoose :thumbsup: for the start of a good thread with great info:thumbsup::), as well as everyone else's contributions:thumbsup:, I for one appreciate the time and effort taken, and can now envisage what I'm going to be doing to my pride and joy, as still in the planning & dreaming stage prior to delivery:whistle::). Could I ask for a pic of the D250s instal and relay as well if possible:thumbsdown::thumbsup:

You dont need to drill anything, there are existing holes blanked of with rubber grommets already there that you can use
If you go under the glovebox and pop the lower panel off and fold the edge of the flooring back if you look back and up under the outside edge of glovebox you should be able to see one, this hole brings you out behind battery/below scuttle tray

Hi Pauly, this is a job I will be doing this weekend, in order to get the cables through behind the battery so that you can connect them to the battery, I am guessing the battery needs to be removed, or can you push them so they travel over the top of the battery?

No don’t have to but it does make life a bit easier if the batts out of the way
You need to remove the black plate that sits behind/above the battery to gain access to the bulkhead grommet

Hold on guys, there is an easier way. See this PDF If you use the gromet shown in the PDF the cabel will come out right behind the battery without having to take it out or remove the panel behind it.

Attachments

• Ctek, E Logic, Redarc and Ring.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 1,798
Great tip, thanks for that it worked a treat.
I have one problem, my leisure battery is just a tad too wide for under the passenger seat so it's not sitting right down.
An easy solution would be to grind out the part of the seat that juts in at the rear, not the best explanation but each side of the seat has a pressed in bulkhead type area, I would be covering this up from the rear by fitting a carpeted kick board so you won't see it.

Has anybody else done this, or is a total no-no? Obviously, I could return the battery and look for a smaller one?

Back