Electrical problems following Lithium install

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've been doing my Valence upgrade, along with all associated chargers etc in little momenst of time I've found over the last few weeks and decided to take the afternoon off work today and finally get it all completed. Now everything to do with the new electrical install has gone fine with Victron Smart battery protect, an Orion 30A to replace the Ctek, a Smart sense and my existing 100/20 Victron MPPT (I haven't got round to fitting the Victron mains charger in place of my existing one yet as I didn't have time and very rarely use it anyway) and the problem is not to do with this, hence me not adding it to the Valence thread.

Once I'd connected it all up I checked the interior lights worked, saw the control panel at the back light up and quickly opened the fridge door to make sure the light came on. Checked the status of all the Victron kit and everything was working and charging fine and the Valence was sitting at a healthy 13.2v. Even tested the inverter and it powered an LED worklight and then a Tassimo machine with only 0.2v drop. Very impressive and ready to put tthe seats back on, one final check...

Oh dear. Westfalias come with a control panel which displays the time and outside temperature, the status of the fresh and grey water tanks, and control the settings of the fridge and Eberspacher - and neither of the latter worked. Although the fridge light came on, the control panel seems to rely on its voltage reading to decide if it has enough power to run the system and it now thinks it has no power. There was an old shunt, which I took out and replaced with the shunt for the AliExpress coulomb meter (yes I was too tight to buy the BMV). I had just connected the 2 wires which came from the old one to ground, but when this happened I connected them to either side of the new shunt but still nothing :confused:

So all the stuff under the driver's seat is going to have to come out again so I can try and trace how I can convince the control panel that there is a leisure battery. Gutted as I thought I was 10 mins away from having it all back in and the van usable again and I don't know when I'll be able to find that much time again this side of Xmas. Here's what the control panel now looks like. I can't find a wiring diagram for it or the underseat connections for it anywhere. I don't see how it can be just a different shunt causing it, but if necessary I'll have to put it back and just manage without a SOC meter. I also don't understand why it's lost its outside temperature reading as well as its voltage readout, I connected all the wires that came out under the seat to the same battery connections they had before.

IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

First thing I’d do is remove the aliexpress shunt and put the original back in and see if it’s that causing the problem.

First thing I’d do is remove the aliexpress shunt and put the original back in and see if it’s that causing the problem.
Yes that's the first thing I'll try, just can't understand how it would affect the temperature readout though?

That is odd, could the fridge read out be something to do with the fact the lithium battery reads above the norm? Maybe the parameters for giving a readout is that it needs to sit between two values? This is just a guess as I have no knowledge of the westfalia system. I would go with what @Deaky suggested and put the system back to as original as possible, obviously not the lithium stuff.

Check you have not dropped(missed) and earth connection somewhere.

Check you have not dropped(missed) and earth connection somewhere.
I think that is a possible, I pulled everything back out last night before calling it a day and I’ll be back there Fri night so I’ll have another go then.

That is odd, could the fridge read out be something to do with the fact the lithium battery reads above the norm? Maybe the parameters for giving a readout is that it needs to sit between two values? This is just a guess as I have no knowledge of the westfalia system. I would go with what @Deaky suggested and put the system back to as original as possible, obviously not the lithium stuff.
Shouldn’t be, I’ve seen a battery voltage of 14v+ on that screen before while charging and this is only at 13.2v

Pleased to report this has been solved. Got back tonight and went straight to the garage and started methodically following all circuits and found a fuse block missing a fuse
629403079.778729public.JPEG

I don't know how it ended up empty, whether I removed it at some point because it blew, or whether it got knocked out I just can't remember as this work has been done in the odd time spare over 3 weeks and I always forget where I'm up to and have to remind myself from my notes and sketches. Anyway, putting a new fuse in caused the battery voltage and outside temperature gauge on the control panel to spring to life and the Eber and fridge now start as normal when selected.

IMG_2802.JPG

Job done, seats back in tomorrow and its first drive in weeks will be to go and get a tree. Very satisfying fix :D

Next job is to replace the EHU charger with a lithium compatible Victron, but that's at the back of the van and not a priority so can wait.

Back