VW Transporter Electric

The big problem with electric cars, as you are all alluding to, is that the production of the batteries is seriously screwing the planet. Yes they are really becoming cheap to run but that's without considering the cost to produce the power storage device, the miles of copper required for the motors and the cost to produce the electricity to put in them...
As mentioned @Salty Spuds, we need to have a real alternative and that could be hydrogen but that technology is still a few years away. So again, here's another case where the goverments all get everyone on board, as they did with diesel, then turn round and vilify those who bought in because there is something else that you now need to have that's better and you should have that and why were you so stupid to buy dirty diesel in the first place, ignoring the fact we told you to and the tax advantage we gave you....
:mad:

As usual, the figures dont add up.
A range of 130 miles is (say) two hours drive at a typical 65mph motoway speed.
Assuming its 100% efficient, a 37kWh battery can at best give 18.5kW for two hours.
18kW is 25bhp. Would a 25bhp T6 even manage a continuous 65mph?

Ok try a steady 130 miles at 30mph. Thats a four hour drive, so you can only take 9kW from your 37kWh battery. 9kW is 12bhp, less than a 125 learner-bike. Who's up for a trial, towing a T6 with a CG125 for four hours?
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As the current owner of an outlander hybrid that's 3 years old, (t6 on order due june!) I have been using it mostly in electric mode as my commute is the bulk of my driving and I can charge it at work.

In three years I've noticed that the supposed 37 mile all electric range:

• Was never achievable no matter how slowly it carefully I drove with nothing else running (lights, air con etc) - best I got was 31
  • Has after 3 years dropped to 22 miles and if I do motorways at speed (70mph) this diminishes to high teens

I was keen on an electric vehicle and thought I'd lease one so that I could give it back in case of any battery woes and pleased that i have, the depreciation which I've avoided has been enormous (new price £38k - now worth £13k) so it might be a common theme across all vehicles with an electric drive train as second hand buyers don't want to deal with battery issues

I love the ease and smoothness of electric, but the range is still the biggest concern, particularly in a vehicle such as a T6 where you want to go adventuring and may not find a charging point in the wild.

Last edited:
Dipped my toe in the water with a Volvo V60 Plug In Hybrid few years back, soon as you have climate control, lights etc in the equation the range drops quite dramatically. Lost count of how many times I was stranded at home unable to move as there were issues with the charging socket where it locked the cable to the vehicle and would not release - basically buggered as car wont start and it cant be moved. Remember on one occasion being told by volvo assistance to just unplug the cable at the other end and then drive to my nearest dealer, even after I explained it was a fixed charge point and this wasn't possible he still didn't get it

I was also stuck with Arnold Clark for servicing - at that time no one on site who was qualified to work on a hybrid, nearest was a 240 mile round trip. Got shot pretty quick, thankfully it had been an ex demo so dealer took the hit on initial depreciation as in less than a year it was worth less than half its original value. Have to say when it was working it was super quiet and smooth on electric only. Also wonder what happens if we are all driving electric cars, the beast from the east reappears and folk are stuck in snow drifts, trying to keep warm and end up with flat batteries and miles from charging stations, going to be carnage.

Sounds like you were unlucky with build quality. In contrast we have had an Audi plug in hybrid for three years and it’s been excellent. Yes the electric range isn’t quite what was advertised but neither is the MPG as per every car. Most of the electricity has come from our solar panels, combined MPG has been in the low 120’s as most of our journeys are really short and it’s bloomin’ quick when you engage boost mode.

I didn’t want a full electric as I still have range anxiety, the ideal transporter for me would be a 204ps TSI plug in hybrid 4motion.

Eco around town, grunt when you need it and good traction.

It's a long way off being much use as a leisure vehicle with the range
It's a long way off being much use for anything with that range.
And don't forget, that range will be under ideal conditions, unladen and driven gently.
I don't doubt electric is the future, but there's some way to go yet.

Just been looking at these. The prices is crazy to say the least for something that can only go 80 miles on a charge at £42k plus vat :eek:

It does 120 miles if you opt for H4 headlamps

The range of the Kombi is "up to 80 miles".
I can imagine the words "up to" being very significant. The important notes say that "Figures may not reflect real life driving results". Yeah, I think we all guessed that!
The sales blurb thinks that that range makes them ideal for couriers and delivery drivers! Ha Ha, maybe the ones who work part time, say half a day! :laugh:
And "the ABT eTransporter 6.1 is zero-emissions"! (if you charge it from a wind turbine or solar panel!)

I think I'll wait until the range increases, as I think it will in time.

Imagine what the range would be, if you were running close to capacity, payload is about an additional 1/3 roughly. So range could be 55 miles. I’m out!!!!!

Electric car claims never make any sense at all.
VW said:
In its base configuration, the Transporter comes with a lithium-ion battery that has an energy capacity of 37.3 kWh; the second battery version offers an energy capacity of 74.6 kWh. Driving ranges of the two versions are between 208 and 400 km.
208km is 130 miles. Thats two hours driving at a typical 65mph. A 37kwh battery will give 18.5kw for two hours. 18.5kw is 24bhp. Will a transporter maintain 65mph on 24bhp? Maybe they expect you to drive more slowly. 130 miles is four hours at 32mph. It will give 9kw for four hours. Thats 125cc learner-motorbike power. Would a 125 motorbike tow your van at 32mph for four hours? :D

Electric car claims never make any sense at all.

208km is 130 miles. Thats two hours driving at a typical 65mph. A 37kwh battery will give 18.5kw for two hours. 18.5kw is 24bhp. Will a transporter maintain 65mph on 24bhp? Maybe they expect you to drive more slowly. 130 miles is four hours at 32mph. It will give 9kw for four hours. Thats 125cc learner-motorbike power. Would a 125 motorbike tow your van at 32mph for four hours? :D
It’s probably all calculated on a rolling road without air resistance. Drag is the drain on economy, that’s why the Transporter is shaped like a brick!

The first real user reviews (not the ones where VW lend a van to a tame motoring journalist!) will be interesting!
Looking on the bright side, no clogged dpf, no egr troubles..... :laugh:

Back