Electric Sliding door issues

sianny78

So my 67-plate T6 has an electric side door which has been working perfectly until yesterday when, suddenly, it had stopped working. I unlocked the van with the fob & pressed the button to open the side door... Nothing. Tried pulling & releasing the handle... Nothing. Got in the van, started the engine & the button on the dash lit up but was flashing. I tried pushing it... Nothing. When I started driving it stopped flashing but started flashing again as soon as I was stationary.

I have checked the child lock. I have checked the other button on the dash that turns off the electric opening function. When I opened it manually it was really hard to close it again as I'm having to fight against the motor. I didn't realise initially but I didn't manage to close it properly the first time but nothing came up on the main console to show it was still open suggesting a fault with whatever sensor it is that recognises whether a door is open it not.

Any ideas on what the issue could be would be greatly appreciated. I could really do without an expensive trip to the dealership.

Have you checked the 40A fuse under the passenger seat?

No, I've not ventured under the passenger seat (except for looking for lost toys!) Can you describe what I'd be looking for? I assume if I took it out I could use a multimeter to test if it's blown?

The flashing light is a fault indicator, it’s flashing to tell you somethings wrong
A scan of the van for fault codes should give you an idea of what’s going on

As well as the electrical checks advised by @Loz and @Pauly above, I would suggest you check the rails the door runs in for crud. Those electric sliding doors are sensitive wee things (for good reason - avoids chopping humanoids in two!)

Just to update you all, I went out in the van again today and thought I'd try the door *just in case*.... It works again!!! So who on earth knows what was going on but glad it's resolved itself. Just hope it stays that way! It at least rules out some of the suggested faults, like the fuse having gone. Will certainly come back to this thread of it goes wrong again though, so thanks all.

Hi Guys

After a hefty cam belt/waterpump/EGR cooler job last week, the stupid van has done my head right in again!!

T6 Caravelle 2016- Button that opens the sliding door is flashing, and the power latch is not working, the receiving catch is facing inwards so a can give it a shove to completely close.

The open and close sliding function works but only if i keep my finger on the button..

Is the latch motor goosed??

There is a “pinch” sensor in the door seal - would be worth checking if it has been pinched (no pun intended!)

After just reading some older posts i popped out and massaged the trim, the door will now close while keeping the switch depressed, it will only do this with the ignition on, does nothing on fob.

Switch/button still flashing.

Is it just coincidence that last week a lot of work was done, battery disconnected etc?

Power latch receiver sill facing inwards, i think it essentially slamming itself shut

I still think it is a pinch sensor issue, but I’m happy to be wrong.

I can shut and open the doors using the inside button, pressing it twice and holding... Just found this on an old forum...

By performing the inside button pressing twice and hold till the door is fully closed, the control unit overrides the trap sensor in the rubber and think there is nothing in the way of the door (no hands in the way as hand or finger is used to press the close button).

Well here goes have searched the forums and need some advice:)
VW T6 2017
My side electric door not working correctly
Internal Light on switch flashing door will open if I keep my finger on the button ,and when closing it wont soft close..
Door wont open correctly from out side using handle, I have to force open and close.
Have checked the pinch sensor and that is not working I presume I need to order complete gasket set with sensor or is there module inside the door I need to check.
Wiring diagram would be helpful ...

Thanks for the all the info above eveyone!!☝️

I was away on a trip last week and starting having some sliding door issues. (Wouldn't close) I could get the door to close if I keep the button on a dash pressed in to override the pinch sensor.

I began my inspection of the seal and its wiring. Everything looked intact. I massaged the entire seal but had no luck.

I cleaned the rails with wd40 and a cloth..Once clean I applied some Dry PTFE to the tracks, the door has begun to work perfectly again !!

Hopefully this isn't the start of some door gremlins and as others have mentioned they are just very sensitive to dirt etc.

Well here goes have searched the forums and need some advice:)
VW T6 2017
My side electric door not working correctly
Internal Light on switch flashing door will open if I keep my finger on the button ,and when closing it wont soft close..
Door wont open correctly from out side using handle, I have to force open and close.
Have checked the pinch sensor and that is not working I presume I need to order complete gasket set with sensor or is there module inside the door I need to check.
Wiring diagram would be helpful ...
Hi Lee, I believe i have the same issue as you. Left hand rear sliding door will only close electronically if I hold my finger on the dash mounted door switch. I have to carefully time my release of "said button" to avoid the door retracting all the way open again.
Did you solve your issue?

Back