Electric Hook Up...

Veema

Teaching Assistant
T6 Guru
So...now I've got the van ordered, I'm looking at things like a drive away awning and wondering what you do about hook up. The van will obviously have the hook up point on it (still deciding whether to have this under a flap on the side of the van or tucked away underneath - views appreciated), but what about things that need to stay plugged in in the awning whilst I'll be driving away off site...thinking about the small beer fridge we have for instance. I've found a 3 way splitter, but that will mean I need 3 EHU leads, one from the post to the splitter and then one each from the splitter to the van and awning.

Am I missing something...is there an easier way? Or do I just not bother with the fridge (although it's a godsend in France on a 2 week trip)

Vx

Get a EHU lead with a trailing socket on the end, then you can plug that straight into the post when you drive off. I have a single male to female EHU lead that I run between the post and van, then a female out which the trailing socket goes into which then runs into the tent. All of these are tucked up under the rear bumper.
Just don't do what I did at the weekend, start to drive off and wonder why everyone was waving and shouting at me; as the cables got tighter!!!! Whoops, that'll be a sign needing to be made up for the dash reminding me to unplug before driving off.
Something like this should do the trick and will plug straight into the post.
Crusader Mobile Mains Site Power Unit - 20 Metre

@DaveyB has and in socket and and out socket on his van that is how he links on in his description above.

Ah right...get it now...I have a cable with a standard plug on the end that we connected the caravan to the house electric with...so if I buy the EHU with the sockets, connect that to the campsite electric post and then connect the van from that with my adapter...that's only 2 cables, so better!

Ta.

Hello.
We are going to the van converters soon to finalise the next stage of our conversion, electrics and units.
They are wanting to put the electric hook-up socket on the side of the van, but we don't want it there as our opion, it spoils the look of the van. We have seen a few vans with the socket by the rear wheel/ bumper, but the converter will not offer a warranty if we put it there.
Question is, has anyone who has the socket by the rear wheel/ bumper had any issues with fitting it there?

I think the main reason people tend to locate the connection point on the side of the van is for safety; it puts it closer to where convertors tend to install the consumer unit within the cupboards and helps to minimise the length of higher amperage 240v cable between the plug and the breakers/fuses, i.e. shorter cable meaning less chance of it getting damaged and/or chance of electrocution (similar scenario to home electrics where the consumer unit tends to be pretty close to the meter)??

Back