Electric Hook Up (EHU) beside towbar?

scotsmac

Iv just has my van converted and with to move the hook up connection. At moment it hangs below the sills mid side of van. This will cause probs with water when driving across country.
Iv looked at various ideas and best I see is next to Toe Bar. Their is already hook up for trailer lights. Would placing the plug on other side of toe bar from existing electric hook up for trailer be good place ?

Tbh, the only real rule of thumb is the cable from the socket to the consumer unit has to be a maximum of 2mtrs, & (where possible) seperately run from the 12v ulv.

You have to think, wherever you put it, how accessible is it in a muddy field in the dark lol

All depends on where you mount the C/U really & whether whoever fitted it adhered to the rule book ;-) If the C/U is under the front seat you are technically within the 2mtr run & tbh under the bonnet keeps it away from the nasty weather whilst being a totally hidden install

You mention under the bonnet. Would that not mean I must have the bonnet roof open to access ? That not so good.
Im sure next to the toe bar is as good a place as any. Easy access, and out of the way. Also the option VW has is a kit that fits under the rear light, almost part of the light socket. It looks good, but comes at an expense. At this moment, I cannot see any negative in placing it next to toe bar ?

It does not really get mud . At moment their is hook up for trailer lights, it gets no mud, so on other side I was thinking ?

I’ve just had mine done. Initially I was going to have it under the bonnet but heard of paintwork getting scratched by cables and I also had security concerns about the bonnet being just held on the catch.
I opted to have it mounted underneath just behind the back bumper. The connector has a cap to keep it dry, but having used it for the first time, it does get pretty manky so when I hook up, I end up with mucky hands. Not a huge issue, but worth pointing out. The best solution I have seen is a modified panel below the back light to create an access door.

I have just had my van converted and mine is under the bonnet. I used it for the first time last weekend and found it fine.

My connection is also under the bonnet and I can fully shut the bonnet with the 240v cable plugged in. There is a big enough gap above the headlight not to squash or damage the 240v cable when on a campsite.
I also use it whilst on my driveway overnight to pre-chill the fridge and freezer before going away so I have super chilled Gin and ice cubes ready for when I rock up on site. :thumbsup:
IMG_20180526_114754_01.jpg

My connection is also under the bonnet and I can fully shut the bonnet with the 240v cable plugged in. There is a big enough gap above the headlight not to squash or damage the 240v cable when on a campsite.
I also use it whilst on my driveway overnight to pre-chill the fridge and freezer before going away so I have super chilled Gin and ice cubes ready for when I rock up on site. :thumbsup:
View attachment 34406

@$immo is your consumer unit inside the van or in the engine bay?

@$immo is your consumer unit inside the van or in the engine bay?
Consumer unit is under the drivers seat, it's a short cable run of blue artic cable through into cab under glovebox under floor tunnel and up into consumer unit under seat. My fridge runs off a 240v/12v auto switch that knows if I'm on hook up or leisure battery. My 240v socket is on the back of the drivers seat base.
There is a nice space Infront of the vehicle battery for the hook up plug and inline fuse.

I use the VW California EHU input and water fill on the left rear side BUT it's only really viable on a LWB van so as to clear the sliding door when open. My water tank is the rear shaped one that Auto Sleeper fit and I've yet to find a way of feeding the fill pipe to a fill point if fitted on the right side.

full.jpg

Rod

Mine is tucked up behind the rear bumper. Not had any issues with it. Consumer unit is under drivers seat.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Am just about starting to convert my van from van to camper. If I decide to fit the 16a plug for mains hook up under the rear bumper, what the cable route into the van? Is it possible without drilling any holes? Not too keen on running a flexible cable all the way from the engine bay to the rear corner of the van. Think I’d prefer a shorter cable run on the unprotected cable.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Am just about starting to convert my van from van to camper. If I decide to fit the 16a plug for mains hook up under the rear bumper, what the cable route into the van? Is it possible without drilling any holes? Not too keen on running a flexible cable all the way from the engine bay to the rear corner of the van. Think I’d prefer a shorter cable run on the unprotected cable.
Hi Peter
A popular place for the hook up is in the large space next to the battery under the bonnet. It's nice and dry under there and you can properly shut the bonnet with the cable attached. It saves crawling under the van and the long cable run to your mains board (if your putting it under a front seat?).
There is a pre-made hole in the bulkhead behind the vehicle battery that will feed cable under the van floor to either seat base.
Just putting out an alternative option you may wish to consider.

..If I decide to fit the 16a plug for mains hook up under the rear bumper, what the cable route into the van? Is it possible without drilling any holes?
Yes - there are bungs all the way along both cills that allow a cable entry in to the cargo area / cabin.

Back