Electric Brake Controller for trailer?

Vanzilla

Hi all, hoping for some guidance. We want to tow a trailer that has electric brakes. Our van is a 2016 Australian Multivan and it has a VW towbar and a flat 12 electric socket to connect the trailer to. The socket wiring includes a blue wire for ‘service brake’ which I understand to be the feed for the electric brakes.
My question is, does this mean the van is already fully ready for electric brake control or do we need to find the other end of the blue wire and install a controller there somehow?
Thanks in advance

The cynic in me says that the blue sends a signal to brake which is reliant on a receptor to act on the signal! @Loz or @Deaky may correct me!

We don't have those braking systems in the UK, so would need to find the appropriate wiring diagram to be sure.
we do have other Aus members with trailers who might know the answer.
@AussieMick ? @Wern ?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have a small unbraked trailer so don't know about this, but my friends with braked caravans or trailers have a brake module controller fitted in the cab that controls the amount of braking force applied and can be adjusted on the run.
Ask at a vw dealer workshop or a decent auto electrician, hopefully they may know.

Back