EGR valve error code 401

Markab04

Hi I have cleared code 401 3 times but , engine management light has come back on 3 times I suspect it is blocked egr cooler, I have took pics off freeze frame does anyone know what these readings are on freeze frame in pictures tia

20210701_124320.jpg

20210701_124309.jpg

20210701_124300.jpg

20210701_124426.jpg

20210701_124409.jpg

20210701_124344.jpg

20210701_124240.jpg

Any news on this ?
No mate, light come on few more times but I have just cleared code, it seems to come on about 90 seconds into journey before engines warmed up, I think egr might need a flush, but Van's still running well and getting over 50 mpg on the country roads where I live

just spent 730 quid on a new egr , the vans only done 15k , second egr I've had to do
Mines on 147k now , been told I'm better off getting egr delete and pendle remap, or just leave it as itll only just block up completely and stop recirculating the exhaust gases apparently only recirculates them at idle speed

Mines on 147k now , been told I'm better off getting egr delete and pendle remap, or just leave it as itll only just block up completely and stop recirculating the exhaust gases apparently only recirculates them at idle speed
I think you should really read other threads about egr and how they work, I'm no expert, I wont advise you to do anything. But deleted or remaps have been known to create other issues according to others. Mines a T5.1 no add blue. 2014. the issue comes and goes ...engine light then not... I hate it... there should be a separate light just for egr. I'll get it replaced by a garage in the future, along with my injectors.

I think you should really read other threads about egr and how they work, I'm no expert, I wont advise you to do anything. But deleted or remaps have been known to create other issues according to others. Mines a T5.1 no add blue. 2014. the issue comes and goes ...engine light then not... I hate it... there should be a separate light just for egr. I'll get it replaced by a garage in the future, along with my injectors.
Iv just had my injectors replaced last month, garage removed them to change rocker gasket put it back together and injectors wouldn't work run lumpy as anything

Not what I have read. EGR opens under constant load only to reduce combustion temps and nox.
It doesn’t open when cold, under acceleration, or regen, allegedly….
Happy to be educated otherwise though.

Not what I have read. EGR opens under constant load only to reduce combustion temps and nox.
It doesn’t open when cold, under acceleration, or regen, allegedly….
Happy to be educated otherwise though.
Cheers for that, I,ll have to get it sorted light normally comes on after a few days but comes on start of journey, when I delete fault itll stay off for few days, so not sure how serious fault is, 1 lad said his light been on for 2 years for that fault

I’d perhaps take the long stainless EGR pipe off, that runs at the front of the engine and see what its like inside?

Cheers for that, I,ll have to get it sorted light normally comes on after a few days but comes on start of journey, when I delete fault itll stay off for few days, so not sure how serious fault is, 1 lad said his light been on for 2 years for that fault
It’s controlled by electronic motor now, not vacuum, so I suppose it is possible that all systems go through a quick functional check on startup. It may be that yours is starting to stick/clog meaning it doesn’t open and close in the allotted time. Maybe. I’m purely speculating now based on when your error is occurring.
As has been suggested, remove front pipe and have a look for sludge. It truly is horrible shit.
DPF i can live with, but egr is just a horrible solution.

It’s controlled by electronic motor now, not vacuum, so I suppose it is possible that all systems go through a quick functional check on startup. It may be that yours is starting to stick/clog meaning it doesn’t open and close in the allotted time. Maybe. I’m purely speculating now based on when your error is occurring.
As has been suggested, remove front pipe and have a look for sludge. It truly is horrible shit.
DPF i can live with, but egr is just a horrible solution.
Just replaced my EGR valve/cooler. There is a Vacuum valve, and electronic valve.
Vacuum valve is viable, and looks to be a cooler bypass.
Electronic is not viable (internal to EGR control unit) and looks like its the main EGR valve in to engine.

its disgusting that vw haven't fixed it , clearly a crap design , i love my van but once out of warranty its a gamble owning one .
Just turned 38000 miles. Egr Valve problem. Costing me £1100. I've taken extended warranty out with VW but unless a failed technical issue (failed part), not covered. Waiting on the garage to confirm but £1100 down the drain. Thoughts?

just spent 730 quid on a new egr , the vans only done 15k , second egr I've had to do
I'm feeling that. 38000 miles and just out of warranty, extended warranty may not cover it. £1200. Nightmare. How can this be right. What are VW saying about it?

As @Peter Rhymes asks, has anyone had their EGR deleted yet?
My Van went into the garage today for a service, cam belt and an EGR investigation after I kept getting the old P0401 “Insufficient flow” fault code.
The garage rang this afternoon to say the EGR needs replacing at a cost of around £1100, or they can “code it out” for £300. They also mentioned that they could “map out” the Adblue. I asked about MOT’s and emissions and they assured me that I wouldn’t have any problems. I told them to go ahead but having read this thread with some people saying do it and some saying don’t, I’m now having second thoughts.
So as above, anyone done it and would you recommend it?

Just replied another thread on similar issue.

I must add he offered to delete off code for 200 euro. Or get the egr changed. I choose egr change because I thought valve was stuck closed and will cause DFS to be a issue in the future.

Last edited:
Back