EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

Well, I've now joined this particular club. Exactly same symptoms as above, first noticed the whooshing air leak sound, slight smell of fumes inside. I'm mainly motorway miles, but am always noticing regens when stopping at home these days, after ten or so miles of town driving. On hold for VW service now. 2018 2WD 204 PV.

What mileage are you on?
I think I’ll check mine tomorrow to see if it’s the old type or the new modified one.

Just purchased the new pipe from TPS , £117 including vat and 2 metal gaskets. Had to get them delivered as trade counters closed.

Rip off .

Said the old cheap ones are no longer in stock.

My van has done 11k and smells like burner rubber all time no lights on dash or anything adblue ok aswelll..?????

I can vouch for this problem on my 204. Failed first M.O.T with a leaking ERG @just over 50k miles and there was a definate exhaust smell on start up in the cab area.

My van has done 11k and smells like burner rubber all time no lights on dash or anything adblue ok aswelll..?????

They can smell like that when the DPF is regenerating.

An EGR leak may hiss, and it’ll likely smell like diesel exhaust fumes under the bonnet. You may see some fumes or soot staining from/on the EGR flexi.

Question to all that have had a split flexi pipe...

did you get an ‘insufficient flow’ error when the exhaust gas was leaking out rather than flowing into the intake?

It’d be useful to know. I had an engine light from an ‘insufficient flow’ and am hoping that a leak may trigger that as the high pressure exhaust gas would take the path of least resistance. I’ve noticed an exhaust smell on startup and the EGR flexi shows soot staining.

I’ve just got back from a 330 mile drive so haven’t got the motivation to mess about with it until tomorrow. Bloody emissions ad ons!

Question to all that have had a split flexi pipe...

did you get an ‘insufficient flow’ error when the exhaust gas was leaking out rather than flowing into the intake?

No errors or lights on any of my split pipes, just the normal hissing from the engine bay and the fume smell in the cab.

Cheers Paul. I was hoping that might be an issue on mine. Back to the drawing board then! :oops:

Hi also just joined this thread as just noticed today fume smell in cab and same whoosing noise and thanks to all your threads, popped the bonnet and felt around the pipe carefully and loads of air escaping, mines a 204 2WD done 20K miles, just booked it in under warranty so hopefully the'll replace it with the new modified type but I least I know there is a modified type so I can check.

Back