EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

Just had mine done today, It was the rear EGR pipe split , Work carried out under extended warranty 2018 4 Motion 204 . circa 38K mileage .
When I first noticed it I thought it was other vehicles and eventually realised it was mine. Tried booking it in at main dealer in November found its quicker getting a doctors appointment on the NHS . Think I waited 6 weeks. Although they did suggest that I should call breakdown as strong fuel smell in cab is considered a danger. I just didnt use the heater, it was occasionally I could smell it but it was a getting progressively worse .
I needed the van so planned a suitable date, at the time I didnt know what was causing it but reading on here it was pointing towards the EGR pipe either front or rear being split. Tried to confirm this by looking to see if it was leaking but didnt see anything. I was told they also clean and wash out the EGR at the same time part of the cost of replacement under warranty so happy days. Would have been £504 if I had paid
Van feels much more responsive now as well. Never know it might even improve fuel usage
The problem is a pita they won’t do anything about it unless you complain about it and of course it only really happens during a regen …it’s not an issue that prevents the van running or passing an mot etc just a horrible experience for the human beings inside the vehicle ! I wish I had complained about it more whilst I had the all in warranty . I had so many things done but this went under the radar due to me not making enough fuss about it …

After a regen happening two days in a row .. and a sickening stink yet again today I decided to take a couple of pics I could not see any signs of fumes coming from this pipe however it’s quite blackened … it was windy the fumes appear to be coming from the drivers side of the engine .. but could not see any source that was obvious .
Just wondering if anyone who has experience with this issue could possibly tell from these photos if this is the problem ..

IMG_2208.jpeg

IMG_2207.jpeg

IMG_2206.jpeg

Morning all, my van started hissing Friday and is now showing warning light for catalytic converter 102 euro5 I know most if not all of the failures on here have been for the 204 so not sure if it’s the same fault it seems to be when it’s trying to build boost I have had a good look in the engine bay but cannot see or hear anything obviously wrong, however Vw cannot see it for a month and seemed more interested in checking my brakes and tyres when they can see it so I am left wondering if driving it for a month with an obvious problem is going to cause catastrophic failure (I’m going to ring round the independent garages on Monday for an early spot)so my question is how long did anyone have to drive their vehicle with this fault
Cheers

Bugger, mines gone. Snows forecast and the garage is full, I do like a challenge. I`m going to stop watch how long it takes.

Hi to all,
Firstly I must apologise as I started a thread on the egr pipe before finding this one. I don’t know how to delete or merge.
As I had said my rear pipe had split right on the 30k miles. I was quoted by the dealer £595 to replace.
I now have my replacement with washers, screws etc and I am about to replace as soon as I receive spline tools etc.
Big thanks to Phil & others on my previous thread for help with part identification, screws etc.
Also I must thank members who have really helped me in this thread by posting their experiences, photos etc, some really useful stuff.

My camper is a 204 DSG also with Aux heater. So I am guessing a challenge or patience as Phil had stated.

Once again, thanks again to all.

[Edited by moderator - the thread linked]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all,
Firstly I must apologise as I started a thread on the egr pipe before finding this one. I don’t know how to delete or merge.
As I had said my rear pipe had split right on the 30k miles. I was quoted by the dealer £595 to replace.
I now have my replacement with washers, screws etc and I am about to replace as soon as I receive spline tools etc.
Big thanks to Phil & others on my previous thread for help with part identification, screws etc.
Also I must thank members who have really helped me in this thread by posting their experiences, photos etc, some really useful stuff.

My camper is a 204 DSG also with Aux heater. So I am guessing a challenge or patience as Phil had stated.

Once again, thanks again to all.

[Edited by moderator - the thread linked]
Hi Guys,
Quick update, I have now replaced the rear pipe with the latest.
As warned, not in anyway a quick job as previously warned. My camper is the 204 DSG with an aux heater, so no real room to work.
It took me around 3 hours with plenty of breaks. It’s not a difficult or complicated job. You just need patience and patience as a lot of the time I was working blind even tho I had the use of an endoscope.

I picked up on an earlier tip to use tape on the spline bit. I firstly offered the pipe to its location with all bolts loosely in the holes and held in place with an elastic band and sellotape.
Once I managed to get all four screws to bite it was a matter of nipping up. I was able to torque to 20nm with a fine bicycle torque wrench.
The splines needed are 8&10 mm. I purchased 1/4” drive splines and found it relatively easy to guide the smaller diameter extension to the bolts.
Before I started I put a load of cloth etc under to catch any dropped bits. (I was lucky there).
If I had to do it again, maybe not so much sellotape to hold bolts as it was not easy to turn bolts to get them to initially bite. Also I would make sure I would have a small 1/4” cordless ratchet to hand. The back of my one hand took some stick on the clips, fixings etc.

I really want to thank all on this forum for creating such a knowledgeable database. Also to Phil and others that have helped me directly in these threads.
It’s this club and its members that gives me the confidence to tackle the unknown.

Thanks again to all.

Back