EGR Delete issues

Robbo891

EGR delete issues….
I have been speaking with a tuner and he said you don’t need to perform an egr delete as the map can permanently shut the egr valve. You also map the code out. I’ve looked into an EGR delete a lot but never heard of a map shutting the valve and blanking plates would be the way forward. Any thoughts?

There's big fines for messing about with emission systems, mot hassle, morality issues too.

I've modded my van a lot, but removing egr's and dpf's is just that one step too far for me personally.

As somebody said before, Darkside are the only ones offering this service as far as I know, or at least the only semi-reputable people offering this service.

I know what you are saying but what about my spiraling costs repairing it and the stress of the persistent light coming on and off. Maybe they should give owners a grant then to continuously pay for the service of these items. Its a known fault but manufacturers are happy to let the consumer foot the bill constantly.

What would you advise in this instance? A clean or full replacement? Cheers

Comission an engineering firm to make a better cooler?

Comission an engineering firm to make a better cooler?
A cyclone cartridge filter before cooling would probably improve matters.
IF your engine consumes oil fit an oil trap on the crankcase breather, taking the oil out of the cycle before it gets burnt poorly and creates soot will help.
My Euro 5 180ps doesn‘t indicate any oil loss on the dipstick between oil changes.
EDIT:
From the Conclusion section; 34-61% reduction in PM using the cyclonic filter.

Last edited:
I had the egr mapped closed on my defender. No issues at all. Im wondering about the add blue situation

I had the egr mapped closed on my defender. No issues at all. Im wondering about the add blue situation
Issue is it’s an MOT failure if detected and it’s illegal.
MOT checks are only going to get tougher on emissions. You can‘t expect the MOT tester to risk their licence to pass a defective vehicle.
I suspect the Defender is less advanced than a T6 when it comes to emissions control and monitoring.

They got caught! EGR mapped closed isn't an issue for emissions at mot time. Short journeys kills diesels more

Well at 123K miles I wouldn’t be surprised that the EGR system needs stripping out.
Not sure how much maintenance it’s had prior to this though?
I was told it was all replaced about a year ago. So was surprised the next day after buying the van the light came on.

I was told it was all replaced about a year ago. So was surprised the next day after buying the van the light came on.
Unless you have the service book or receipt with Reg #, date and milage you’re taking the sellers word for it.
My gut feeling is it probably wasn’t replaced as I can’t see a cooler / valve fouling in a year.
The warning light doesn’t necessarily indicate a defective EGR system, you need to get it checked for fault codes.

Back