Night Heater location - internal or external??

I believe the Cali has one of each. One for the hot air and one for the coolant.

I’ve got a Webasto with the digital control and it’s brilliant. We set it on a timer so it’s warm when we get back from the pub when we’re camping!

I believe the Cali has one of each. One for the hot air and one for the coolant.

I’ve got a Webasto with the digital control and it’s brilliant. We set it on a timer so it’s warm when we get back from the pub when we’re camping!
That’s correct don’t which one works the inside heating.

Usually Webasto Thermotop for coolant heater and Eberspächer D2 for the air heater unless the Webasto was specified at order. Factory fit used to be 3.5Kw Webasto air heater and not the 2Kw Webasto that most fit to T5/T6 vans now.

Webasto or Eber. Both are as good as each other and have good aftersales support. I went Eber only because I have fiddled with them before and I know them better than Webasto. Don't get hung up on one being better than the other because they both work in identical ways.
Have a look at the controller options....which do you like best? Which has the features you want and which loks nicest? That is what it comes down to...

I'd agree with you, in fact I remember an Autosleeper conversion I had before that had microswitches on the windows that would kill the heater if they were opened!
My memory was failing me here, the windows did have micro switches to cut the power to the heating, but it was the gas water heater that it affected, not the Eber

So, after deliberating whether i fitted the Eber Diesel heater inside or out. I have just finished fitting it outside under the Van. I gave it it's first test, and i'm delighted with it. So i'm going to head down to Glen Affric tomorrow and stay over night, it doesn't sound to loud but in the dead of night it might be different...

Sad that you will need the heater in June at Glen Affric @hoggle.
Lovely place to be though, hope the rain stays off.
Did you DIY the heater or is there somewhere you recommend up North?
I think I could DIY it but want to get it right first time.

Sad that you will need the heater in June at Glen Affric @hoggle.
Lovely place to be though, hope the rain stays off.
Did you DIY the heater or is there somewhere you recommend up North?
I think I could DIY it but want to get it right first time.

I probably don't need to have it on, but want to try it out! :) It will be about 7 Deg so it won't be cosy, so will fire it up to see how it operates.. And i installed it myself, it really isn't that hard.. There is a wealth of information on here and the Web, that shows all you need to know..

So, after deliberating whether i fitted the Eber Diesel heater inside or out. I have just finished fitting it outside under the Van. I gave it it's first test, and i'm delighted with it. So i'm going to head down to Glen Affric tomorrow and stay over night, it doesn't sound to loud but in the dead of night it might be different...

enjoy Glen Affric, hope the midges not too bad , were feckin awful at the house here tonight so maybe some skin so soft might be required...…….

Do you need to have a leisure battery fitted to be able to run a night heater

Yes. You don't want to be running the starter down so much that you cannot start in the morning.
Strange thing is I wonder why people call them night heaters - I can't stand having heat on whilst sleeping, I only use them for mornings to take the chill off or daytime if sitting around for a while. I sleep in a bedroom with no heating and the windows open 360 days of the year so I wonder how people get to sleep with all that heat! People are getting soft.:rofl:
I sell a lot of heaters but have never called them night heaters.
The latest Multicontrol controllers for Webastos can be set with the cutout voltage to avoid running a battery down too low but cannot speak for others like Eberspächer etc. as I only deal with Webastos.

Since i live in the North of Scotland, and plan to spend the night in the Van all Year when out walking. It will be used at night! :)

Yes. You don't want to be running the starter down so much that you cannot start in the morning.
Strange thing is I wonder why people call them night heaters - I can't stand having heat on whilst sleeping, I only use them for mornings to take the chill off or daytime if sitting around for a while. I sleep in a bedroom with no heating and the windows open 360 days of the year so I wonder how people get to sleep with all that heat! People are getting soft.:rofl:
The latest Multicontrol controllers for Webastos can be set with the cutout voltage to avoid running a battery down too low but cannot speak for others like Eberspächer etc. as I only deal with Webastos.
My reading of the Erbersacher manual would suggest that yes it does have a voltage cut-off to protect the battery.

I'm not 100% sure but isnt the low level voltage cut out around 10.5volts? I wouldn't fancy my chances dropping my starter battery to that voltage and then driving off in the morning. @oldiebut goodie

Last edited:
Posts crossed here - I was saying the same but more long-winded!

Is it configurable though as some preset ones are something ridiculous like 11.6v or so. I set them at 12v so that they leave some electrickery in the battery - the battery usually recovers a couple of volts after drains are stopped. I know that the ecu on the Airtronic has a low voltage cutoff of 10.5v which isn't user configurable and that is useless for saving your battery as it will be on its way to being goosed at that voltage.

Since i live in the North of Scotland, and plan to spend the night in the Van all Year when out walking. It will be used at night! :)

In my younger years I used to sleep in the Welsh mountains in the open in winter in just an Army sleeping bag.:)

In my younger years I used to sleep in the Welsh mountains in the open in winter in just an Army sleeping bag.:)
I used to wild camp too, loved it. But as i age, i want sit in the Van and read etc in the warmth. And then crash out without the possibility of Hypothermia setting in... :D

Force of habit calling them night heaters, I used to be a car transporter drive many years ago

Back