Easy camper recipes.

If you're fishing and catch a decent Bass, this is a nice one for the BBQ

1 sea Bass about 2-4lb (it really needs to be fresh)
1 Fennel bulb
1 lemon
coarse sea salt
1/4 tsb Saffron

Gut and scale the fish, give it a wash, give the skin a few diagonal slashes with a sharp knife
Rub in the salt and saffron
slice the fennel and lemon and stuff the stomach cavity along with a bit more salt
wrap well in foil and toss on the BBQ for about 10 minutes or so

@Ed Webb I do a simple camping recipe with wraps as well - I use a Cadac but would work in a frying pan:-

Cheesy Steak Wraps with Balsamic Onions

Couple of red onions, thinly sliced into half rings.
Fry onions in a bit of butter/oil until nicely softened
Add some salt and pepper to taste.
Add some fresh or dry chilli to taste.
Add a shed load of balsamic vinegar (you can't really overdo it!!) and fry hard until reduced to a jam like consistency.
Put lid on pan and set aside.

Put a wrap on a hot griddle plate (no oil).
Sprinkle liberally with grated cheese.
Wait until cheese starts to melt and cover with a second wrap.
Press down, flip over and let the other side cook for about 30 seconds.
Place wraps on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Repeat for as many wraps as you have.

Griddle some decent steak (we use either sirloin or ribeye) to liking.
Cover with foil and let rest for a few minutes.
Slice steak up

Share steak out between the wraps, cover liberally with the onion mix.
Fold wraps in half
Eat!

Roll on Bala this coming Friday!!
Forget your trip to Bala, can't wait for you to make these for the troops going to Busfest!!

I saw a recipe in a VW camper mag: pasta; spam(ish); and vodka and some other bits and bobs. I have never cooked with Vodka but it looked really good:)

I saw a recipe in a VW camper mag: pasta; spam(ish); and vodka and some other bits and bobs. I have never cooked with Vodka but it looked really good:)
I do a pasta with vodka recipe with pancetta (or spam!), porchini mushrooms, tomatoes and cream and Parmesan - not sure why it works but it does.

@chriscroft @Davenjo Pop the recipe up, I'm intrigued.
Here goes:-

Handful of dried porcinni mushrooms soaked in boiling water for about 30 minutes. Strain and reserve about half a cup of the soaking liquid. Roughly chop mushrooms. Set aside.

Cook a pack of pasta as per instructions (I use farfalle/bows for this recipe but anything would work) - strain and set aside. NB. Make sure you don't overcook the pasta as it will continue cooking whilst you do the rest of the recipe and when you add it back in later.

In a saucepan, fry a small pack of chopped pancetta in a little butter or oil until browned and then add a couple of chopped garlic cloves, keep frying gently until garlic softened then add a tin of chopped tomatoes plus the liquid reserved from the mushrooms and the mushrooms. Bring to a boil and keep boiling until reduced down to slightly thicker than the mix would be without the water then add a good grind of black pepper. Set aside. NB. recipe works well without the pancetta as well so, if you want to keep it veggie, just leave it out.

In a large fry pan melt a couple of good knobs of butter, add pasta and toss to coat, pile the tomato/mushroom mix on top of the pasta plus a small pot of double cream and a good handful (or 2!) of grated parmesan stir to mix and heat through gently. Finally add a shot of vodka to the pan, stir once more and serve.

As I say, not sure why the vodka works but it does.

Enjoy

Handful of dried porcinni mushrooms soaked in boiling water for about 30 minutes. Strain and reserve about half a cup of the soaking liquid. Roughly chop mushrooms. Set aside.

Cook a pack of pasta as per instructions (I use farfalle/bows for this recipe but anything would work) - strain and set aside. NB. Make sure you don't overcook the pasta as it will continue cooking whilst you do the rest of the recipe and when you add it back in later.

In a saucepan, fry a small pack of chopped pancetta in a little butter or oil until browned and then add a couple of chopped garlic cloves, keep frying gently until garlic softened then add a tin of chopped tomatoes plus the liquid reserved from the mushrooms and the mushrooms. Bring to a boil and keep boiling until reduced down to slightly thicker than the mix would be without the water then add a good grind of black pepper. Set aside. NB. recipe works well without the pancetta as well so, if you want to keep it veggie, just leave it out.

In a large fry pan melt a couple of good knobs of butter, add pasta and toss to coat, pile the tomato/mushroom mix on top of the pasta plus a small pot of double cream and a good handful (or 2!) of grated parmesan stir to mix and heat through gently. Finally add a shot of vodka to the pan, stir once more and serve.

Enjoy
I do wonder how someone discovered that vodka at the end still works. I am saving these recipes up and will cook these in the near future. Cheers for recipe

I do wonder how someone discovered that vodka at the end still works. I am saving these recipes up and will cook these in the near future. Cheers for recipe
I saw an Italian lady (Anna??) do it on Saturday Kitchen years ago and I've just adapted the recipe to suit.

Enjoy
That's it, decision made, I'm bringing no food to Busfest as Dave @Davenjo is doing the catering. I say we have a vote. All ten folk camping say aye?

All very interesting but we seemed to have missed one vital component from @Ed Webb's original post..... what kind of Gin is everyone enjoying???? My overall fave is Tanqueray 10 but I'm enjoying a bottle of Monkey47 at the mo. o_O

My secret stash currently contains:
Chase gin
Rambla 41
Brecon - from penderyn distillery.

Sloe, Damson, gooseberry, raspberry all homemade
Along with Gordans sloe and a range of foxdenton estate gins.

Back