Dust Entry

JSJQ

T6 Pro
When driving on dirt roads, how well dust proofed is the T6? You don’t have to wander too far afield in Oz to strike dust. Anyway, we like to go to out of the way places.

I am planning in install additional seals on the front doors as the first mod.

Thanks for your help and advice.

The extra door dust seals work a treat.
(just make sure the door has been de-greased/de-waxed or they wont stick properly)
(and make sure the seals are not too think or the door will bounce open and not shut properly)

the rest of the opening door seals work great from factory.

apart from that just keep an eye on the regular service items for dusty areas, ie Cabin filter, Air filter.

also the underbody plastic covers can collect sand and dust behind them after a time.

Hi JS

We have a 2019 T6, 4motion with lockable rear diff. We just got back from 13k trip across northern Australia. Dust problem is bad. I removed one of the rear panels and it has been sucked up and out into the cabin. Put my hand down one side and came up with red mud, so water is getting in also. It’s booked into my dealer as it is under warranty.

Last edited:
Hi Crowajingalong, Years since we've been to the NP. Perhaps when we go south from Brisbane in late March 2020 we'll go in there again. Sorry to hear about the dust and the water. Coming from a Prado it's not good news at all as we've been virtually dust free for years. It's been a big move for us to abandon Toyota! Bad news about the leaks too. Could it from the windows? The problem the UK blokes talk about?

Apart from that, did the van meet your expectations?

Totally happy with the T6 except the dust problem. Perhaps the plastic covers under the vehicle are scooping the dust up and forcing into the vehicle?? Either way this should not be happening.

Some dust did come in the windows but not enough to cause the problem I have. It has definitely come from under the body.

If you are having a campervan fitout then no doubt they will insulate and this should keep any dust out. My van is booked in to the dealer 1 August; I will keep the forum posted.

Yes, we are having a conversion done. For what it’s worth, in the mid 90’s we had a Defender TD5. Marvellous in many respects but leaked dust terribly. The dealer was not particularly interested. What we did to almost entirely eliminate the problem was for my wife to move a very bright light around the interior and, with me underneath, tell her to mark the places where I could see light. The number of spots was numerous. We filled the gaps with space invader. Not a good idea I now understand because it can react with metal.

When the time comes I might at least look to see where light might be coming through the van. It should not happen of course.

Best wishes with the dealer.

Could the dust be getting in forced in through the low level vent behind the rear bumper, at the bottom of the rear 1/4 panels? Whilst it has a one way flap on it to allow the air to circulate from within the panel/ cabin, the shear quantity of dust that you have in the outback may overwhelm it.

Could the dust be getting in forced in through the low level vent behind the rear bumper, at the bottom of the rear 1/4 panels? Whilst it has a one way flap on it to allow the air to circulate from within the panel/ cabin, the shear quantity of dust that you have in the outback may overwhelm it.
Hello Davey. An interesting deduction. I wasn’t aware of the panels. Can I access them?

An interesting deduction. I wasn’t aware of the panels. Can I access them?
Yes but not easily. One option is to drop the rear bumper off. The other is to remove the inner panel, then feed your hand down into the recess below the floor behind the wheelarch.

Thinking about it, it’s probably the better option to unclip the bumper. You’ll then be able to see what is going on easier. It may be that the one way flap is stuck open or damaged in some way.

Back