Dust caps over LED lights in H7

Hanzs

VIP Member
Hello,

Thomas here from The Netherlands, I recently bought a 2016 Multivan.

I recently bought LED PHILIPS Ultinon Pro9000 light to replace the halogen for H7 dipped beam on VW T6 2016.
The lights fit fine and the light pattern is also good. But that is before I fit the dust caps.
The dust caps don't fit over the lights because the heat sink+ fan are sticking out.

Is there a solution for this problem? I see custom dust caps being advertised, only for round dust caps.

Is it possible to modify the existing caps in some way ?
The problem you are going to have is that keeping dust out and cooling the lights with fresh air are not compatible statements.

Pete

The caps are made of hard ABS plastic, so modifying is not easy. Regarding temperature: I think the heat sink can get rid of its heat if the caps are in place. They are equipped small fans on the back, so the cooling is forced.

Hello,

Thomas here from The Netherlands, I recently bought a 2016 Multivan.

I recently bought LED PHILIPS Ultinon Pro9000 light to replace the halogen for H7 dipped beam on VW T6 2016.
The lights fit fine and the light pattern is also good. But that is before I fit the dust caps.
The dust caps don't fit over the lights because the heat sink+ fan are sticking out.

Is there a solution for this problem? I see custom dust caps being advertised, only for round dust caps.
I did this two years
Dust proof & cooler

IMG_20200429_082717.jpg

IMG_20200506_081944.jpg

That looks like a good solution @coldbloody Thanks!
But how were you able to attach the metal clip? Since it needs to stretch more in this case.

Hi @Chessbo, I used the solution coldbloody reported here.
I glued a ty-rap mounting base on the cap and a ty-rap to keep the steel spring in place (on pic above duct tape is used)

Do you have any friends who are good with 3D modelling, 3D printing and who owe you a favour?

My take on this is that the bulb unit requires cooling, hence the fan, the reason why they are not enclosed.

The cooling fans work quite happily inside the headlight enclosure as let's face it the headlights are huge, the trick is leaving enough room at the rear of the lamp to allow for the movement of air through the aluminium heatsink extrusion.
I butchered my dust caps with a 40mm diameter holesaw and stuck some black aerosol lids over the wound to act as top hats to allow air to move around the cooling fins but keep the headlight interior sealed against the British weather.

Back