DSG Rolling Forward In Reverse

Thegee6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I did do a search on this and found a couple of comments regarding this issue but that’s all.

My van has not even done 500 miles yet. Yet I’ve noticed when my van is pointing downhill and I put it in reverse, the gearbox isn’t holding it and the van rolls forward. It then takes quite a few revs to get it to reverse back up the slope. Has anyone else got this issue and more importantly....is there a cure for it?

I did do a search on this and found a couple of comments regarding this issue but that’s all.

My van has not even done 500 miles yet. Yet I’ve noticed when my van is pointing downhill and I put it in reverse, the gearbox isn’t holding it and the van rolls forward. It then takes quite a few revs to get it to reverse back up the slope. Has anyone else got this issue and more importantly....is there a cure for it?

Do you mean a mega extreme slope, like a driveway, or just a normal hill? Not that it matters, because i've never noticed mine to that in either circumstance, but it does sometimes need more revs reversing up a pretty extreme slope, although it never rolls on it's own.

Rolls forward by much?

Do you mean a mega extreme slope, like a driveway, or just a normal hill? Not that it matters, because i've never noticed mine to that in either circumstance, but it does sometimes need more revs reversing up a pretty extreme slope, although it never rolls on it's own.

Rolls forward by much?

I’d say just a gentle slope. It will roll forward a couple of feet until I give it some gas and get it moving backwards

I’d say just a gentle slope. It will roll forward a couple of feet until I give it some gas and get it moving backwards

Then defiantly it's not something that my DSG has ever done whilst in reverse. Mine will start to move on tick over, even going up a hill in reverse.

I noticed my wife's tiguan did it yesterday but it was only a couple of inches rather than feet. Both our cars are DSG and both take a lot of revs to reverse up our drive but it is fairly steep. I'm off to see if the van does it today.

All my DSG vehicles that haven't had Auto Hold have done that on fairly steep slopes. If for example, reversing into a tight parking space on a hill, it can do it if there is a bit of shunting involved. What I have found with the van is if I hold it on the brakes for a little longer before beginning the next part of the maneuver, it tends not to roll before going the direction I want it to.

There's a difference between a couple of inches and a couple of feet. If we are talking inches, then yeah maybe mine will roll a fraction on an extreme slope like a driveway, but never has it rolled more than that. A couple of feet is the difference between rolling into a vehicle in front of you or not.

I have driven several DSG T6s and have found that there are 'tight' gearboxes and 'loose' ones, it sounds to me like you have a loose one
My T6 is tight and the second you take your foot off the brake in drive or reverse the van will start to creep in the direction of drive (on flat or a slope) then the slightest touch of the throttle and your moving, on a loose gearbox this doesnt happen and needs quite a bit more revs to initiate drive, i had a caravelle courtesy and to park i reverse on a slope outside my house so tested it out and it took 2500 revs to get the backwards motion to begin then the van lurched away and needed the revs dropping right down so it didnt shoot off quickly

I thought I’d ask the question. I can’t get out to my van at the moment as I’m self isolating. I’m wondering if hill hold has been enabled in the settings? But where in the settings is hill hold? If it is enabled then is it a trip to the dealers for them to investigate?

Didn’t think that you could turn it on and off
Have you tried a firm push on the brake pedal before commencing any manoeuvre?

Hello, I have had this problem since the first day, mine is a California 204 tdi 4motion with DSG, and two years later I have to think twice where I am going to park the van. Sometimes I have had to use the handbrake because the van rolled fordward.
I have remapped both, DSG and ECU, and the problem is still there.

Thought I’d revive this. Took my van in to the dealers today for a couple of faults and also mentioned the gearbox. They have done a software update to the dsg which they say has sorted the pulling away issue but not it rolling forward in reverse, which they class as a safety issue. So they have kept the van overnight to investigate further tomorrow. Will keep you posted on their findings

I had done the Ecu remap (REVO) after the DSG remap (TVS) , and it hadnt solved the problem, because the DSG should be done after the ECU remap, it was my mistake, so I made a second DSG remap, and now the problem has gone. My conclusion is that the Ecu needs to be remapped to work properly with the turbos, and if you remap the Ecu you also have to adapt the DSG.

Thought I’d revive this. Took my van in to the dealers today for a couple of faults and also mentioned the gearbox. They have done a software update to the dsg which they say has sorted the pulling away issue but not it rolling forward in reverse, which they class as a safety issue. So they have kept the van overnight to investigate further tomorrow. Will keep you posted on their findings
Just reviving this again, did you get any feedback from the dealers about this. I’ve noticed this, it’s a very odd quirk. I’d expect when engaged in reverse it should only travel backwards, mines rolling easily a couple of feet.

Just use you left foot to hold the brakes and release them when you feel the van start to move, as you would when using the clutch in a manual, I got used to doing this in a DSG caddy without hill hold and its second nature now in reverse, its not usually an issue unless you're parking in a particularly tight spot right up to another vehicle.

Back