Dsg Oil Leak

Hactus

Kombi 204 DSG 4Motion
VIP Member
T6 Pro
After some advice from the techies. Van has been into dealer today for an oil service, all okay except a small oil leak from the DSG gearbox.

They advise that the work will take a couple of days as they have to epoxy the bolt in. Have checked on the forums and found the same problem from other owners and the dealer I went too have given me a print out of the VW worksheet with the step-by-step instructions to pass onto my local dealer or another where I will be next week.

On holiday with the van so want to wait until I get home to use the local dealer but is it okay to do this or should I find a dealer who can do the work straight away.

My mileage is 6700, 204 BiTDI DSG 4 Motion.

Thanks in advance.

It's a common problem on some DSG vans.

And as you say it's been highlighted on the forum and VWCV has the fix.

They use Epoxy resin to seal the bolt. So they need to clean the area. Remove bolt. Add resin. Fit bolt....wait 24hr for resin to cure. Test for leaks. Hence the repair duration quoted.

It's more of a slow oil weep than a big leak. Your see the damp patch on the bottom of the box if yours is effected.

If it was me I'd prob wait till I got home.

Unless you had a big pool of oil under the van..... but that very unlikely.

Thanks Dellmassive. Sort of what I was thinking that if no pool of oil then okay.

Certainly hadn’t seen any on the drive at home before coming away so hoping just a weep.

Just a bump on this thread to see if others have or had the same issue.

My van has been into the dealers three times now and I still have a leak from a bolt towards top of gearbox. Back to dealer again today for a quick inspection and book in for further investigation.

As far as I can tell, at each visit the dealer has carried out the same repair as per the service bulletin. I have also raised a case today with VW Commercial Customer Service and I am awaiting callback from a Case Manager.

The way I see this is either the

1) repair method is flawed
2) the replacement bolts are faulty
3) the dealer is ineffective in carrying out the repair process
4) the gearbox casing is damaged

Three repairs so four bolts/washers used including original from factory so I am assuming that the replacement bolt/washer is not the problem.

Does anyone else have this re-occurring issue and how many times before fixed?

Anyone had the issue and was fixed first time?

As your dealer used a different method to fix other than the VW Service Bulletin method (new bolt/washer and epoxy resin)?

Any good contacts on the forum who can help get this escalated within VW?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @fungas

Looks like mine. Great photos. Though looks like more oil on the under tray than I have seen with my van

My van is at the van center having it repaired, van center have been great but this is the fourth visit. Just waiting to hear the latest update.

hi Hactus ,do you know where the leak is coming from van is less than a week old its done 500km

Fitting a bolt with epoxy resin sounds like desperation and not a good engineering solution. If oil is leaking though a bolt drilling a normal solution is to fit a bonded seal under the bolt head, ie Dowty bonded seal (DBS).

VWC fix is the epoxy resin. They have issued a tech bulletin to their van centers describing how to complete the repair.

@fungas that is a lot of oil for 500km. Back to your van centre asap. so they can diagnose and fix.

If I can bump this thread again. Had mine into Listers van centre for an oil leak on the DSG box. Outcome….oil leak confirmed and told they don’t repair the dsg boxes so it’s a new gearbox after only 15000 miles. They also found crankshaft oil seal leaking on the pulley side. Luckily being done in the 3 month grace period after end of 3 year warranty

Back