DSG - Neutral at the lights?

MrTango

T6 Pro
Hi,

A couple of DSG questions, options please -:

At the traffic lights, is it best to put the van in Neutral or just hold it in drive on the brake?

Is it better to have the Coasting function on or off? I thought off would be better for fuel economy. (I have a DSG van that I drive like I'm taking a weeks worth of eggs to market and get 30 mpg average)

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Personally, if I think I’m going to be waiting for a while I’ll stick it in neutral.
I have coasting turned off, I don’t like the feeling of freewheeling and when I learned to drive (quite a while ago now) you were taught never to freewheel, something about being in full control of the vehicle.

Just leave it in gear, the system keeps the clutch open whilst your foot is on the brake.
I used to use coasting but it started to become annoying with all the need to keep tapping the brake if you wanted a bit if engine braking etc.
since having had the TVS upgrade I have coasting off permanently now as the box is always in the matching gear for the speed I’m travelling.

if you are concerned about squeezing out an extra 1mpg, then you bought the wrong vehicle.

I generally put it in neutral if I’m going to be waiting a while but that’s just because I would do the same with a manual box. Would be interested to know if it actually makes any difference. I don’t think I can switch coasting off on mine (199 T6.1) but haven’t really found it problem. 30 mog seems quite low - I’m getting about 37-38 but not fully loaded, probably about 1/2 ton in the back most of the time.

I recently gave coasting another go. It didn't save any fuel and did mean that I was having to brake much more to make up for the lack of engine braking.

I reckon having to replace discs and pads more often costs many times more than the thimble full of diesel you might save.

Thanks for the replies. I too don't like the coasting function, doesn't feel right, not like my old cars...

The mpg is what it is, I understand that, seems to be van dependent from all the posts I've read. This is my 4th van, the newest, 'cleanest' engine and worst mpg? But it's the rear bike rack, pop top and 2 regens per tank that murder the mpg.

Now I have to find out what a TVS upgrade is!

I leave mine in gear all the time and have coasting on. I also do exactly the same in the Passat. We have had the Passat for about 6yrs now and I just got used to that style of driving so it was natural to do the same in the T6.

I thought coasting was less efficient because it has to use fuel just to keep the engine turning over or does this actually turn it off?

I thought coasting was less efficient because it has to use fuel just to keep the engine turning over or does this actually turn it off?
definitely doesn't turn it off, on a T6 you would lose power steering.

That’s a very good point @Loopdreams. I’m now thinking that at lower speeds it just keeps it in a very high gear. Would be interested if anyone on here knows about how it all works?

I love coasting, making me feel free. It’s just need little touch to brake to turn it of …
Always on brake when on red lights.
Start / stop not ideal but if it going to lower pollution then why not
Best

Always leave it in gear and foot on brakes at the lights.
no coasting function on my van.

I leave in gear and have 'coasting' off. I prefer predictive driving rather than using the brakes all the time. I have also found no change in mpg with 'coasting' on or off.

Be careful especially on inclines with stopping in gear. I have noticed that if you have not fully pressed the brake pedal, the gearbox stays engaged and is effectively slipping the clutch. If you listen carefully, you can hear the engine note change (to off load) when the DSG gearbox fully disengages drive as you slowly press the brake pedal.

Some reading material.

Attachments

• SSP__538__The_Dual_Clutch_Gearbox_0DD.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:
always in gear at the lights, coasting function always turned off (I detest it, you'd never slip a manual into neutral to roll down a hill or each time you took your foot off the accelerator on a motorway).

Back