DSG - Van rocks when changing forward to reverse.

Solo

We have a T6 which we purchased new in August this year.
We have problems with the DGS gears locking when in drive to park. We have to force it into drive and the whole van judders, it does it randomly but more on an incline or decline. We have taken it back to VW twice now but they have checked the electrics and just started it up which it hasn't done the same problem when they have had it.

It oalso Revs quite high when stationery and the fan cuts in when only doing less than a couple of Miles this also seems to add to the fuel not being as good as it should.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are at a loss as to where we go from here.

The fans coming on means the van has not been able to complete a regen and will try again next time, you’ll notice the idle speed increase when a regen is happening.

Try using the handbrake when on an incline and not the DSG box, I find mine is similar when on an incline

Thank you we do use the handbrake when in parked ,its when we sometimes start it up and go from park to drive it gets locked and is a job to get it to drive ,no problem when driving the van and changing down from drive to park when stopped ,it is quite puzzling .

I dont know anything about the DSG, but (guessing) its not an interlock is it, such as preventing it going into drive unless the brake is pressed?
Just thinking that you've only had it a short while, and VW, who are totally familiar with DSGs, have no trouble? Just a thought... :)

Are you applying the handbrake before coming off the brake pedal?

If you go into Park, then come off the brake pedal, the van will roll until it's stopped by the gearbox. This is when it can be difficult to move back out of Park. If you use the handbrake first, before selecting Park and letting of the brake pedal, it won't roll into the gearbox.

I have a Mk8 Golf with DSG - my first automatic vehicle. It can clunk coming out of Park, if I have engaged Park on a hill, before the (electric) handbrake.
Makes sense really - allowing it to roll back/forwards with just Park engaged means that some cogs somewhere are locked, and are always going to be more difficult to disconnect.

Pete

Try this next time you park on an incline,
1. Stop and keep brakes firmly applied
2. Shift to park
3. Firmly apply handbrake
4. Release brake pedal
To set off,
1. Start van and keep brakes applied
2. Shift to drive
3. Release handbrake
4. Release brake pedal and move off

If you do the above and are still getting a clunk or difficulty moving to drive (or reverse) then you may have a problem, if not then I would say all is well.
If you allow the van to roll once in park it will come to rest on the internal parking mechanism of the DSG box, which is strong enoug to hold the vehicle, but will need a good yank to disengage.

Try this next time you park on an incline,
1. Stop and keep brakes firmly applied
2. Shift to park
3. Firmly apply handbrake
4. Release brake pedal
To set off,
1. Start van and keep brakes applied
2. Shift to drive
3. Release handbrake
4. Release brake pedal and move off

If you do the above and are still getting a clunk or difficulty moving to drive (or reverse) then you may have a problem, if not then I would say all is well.
If you allow the van to roll once in park it will come to rest on the internal parking mechanism of the DSG box, which is strong enoug to hold the vehicle, but will need a good yank to disengage.
I need to stop being lazy and do this

Thank you we do use the handbrake when in parked ,its when we sometimes start it up and go from park to drive it gets locked and is a job to get it to drive ,no problem when driving the van and changing down from drive to park when stopped ,it is quite puzzling .
Thank you for your info

Back