Dropped/lost tool in engine bay

Update. Took one side of the bumper off and headlight out. Found the tool in a square strut section of the chassis. Decided to take the wheel off and arch trim. Then found that the security nut would not come off! FML. Then it started peeing it down. Felt defeated by the wheel nut but I found some motivation from somewhere. I managed to bend my arm round with an allen key and fish the tool out with a few attempts. Thanks for all the tips. My arm is fooked but at least the trims will go back on easier with the right tool. 4F3BFBA1-6FF2-4144-B8B3-C160E1D5DE88.jpeg

Yeah I had the wheel arch cover off but didn’t look any further. I’ll look for the access cover. And will take some pics. I just watched the THQ headlight video and it looked like there could be a void behind the light. Hopefully I could get in there from below. Magnet and string might work. Cool thing is I do t have a tool for taking off all the screws now!
Just be careful the magnet doesn’t fall off or end up sticking inside a box section. I had a right old faff getting a bolt out of a chassis rail once.

Also, I covered mine in tape so it didn’t scratch the paint off chassis members, as it’d be a rust trap.

Did exactly the same thing with an intercooler clip. To locate it I gently banged the under tray with the palm of my hand whilst the wife acted as spotter.
Then I was able to vibrate it to a location where it could be retrieved. Good luck.

Back