Drop Links. When And Why To Use Longer.

Longer ARB's not required for the 6.1 with the B14. It is true that the 6.1 has a different front anti roll bar which can fowl but this is in cases of drops over 70mm in a particularly heavy bus.
In those cases we will soon be able to offer a specifically manufactured drop link for the 6.1. Please send us a PM if you require the details of those.

Longer ARB's not required for the 6.1 with the B14. It is true that the 6.1 has a different front anti roll bar which can fowl but this is in cases of drops over 70mm in a particularly heavy bus.
In those cases we will soon be able to offer a specifically manufactured drop link for the 6.1. Please send us a PM if you require the details of those.
Thank you very much for your reply

Ill add to this! From what I have learnt over the last month and speaking to various people. I’m going air and have been told that ultra low or air will need new longer drop links. You can use a Vauxhall insignia drop links but the company fitting mine Have their own. don't ask me anything technical because I havent got a clue :think smile bounce:

I’m pretty low now but didn’t need new drop links.

While I remember, for info, if you want some nice drop links have a look at meyle they are great oem quality, a lot of aftermarket ones are rubbish!

:mad:Done a top mount mod and have my Koni/Eibach coilovers wound right down so about 80mm drop altogether and mine has snapped a passenger side drop link!! It is also now leaking fluid out of the steering rack ffs!!
2019 plate at 15,000 miles any ideas what could have caused this anyone ??

D4645078-24CE-44A7-BF44-5B378C65B373.jpeg

:mad:Done a top mount mod and have my Koni/Eibach coilovers wound right down so about 80mm drop altogether and mine has snapped a passenger side drop link!! It is also now leaking fluid out of the steering rack ffs!!
2019 plate at 15,000 miles any ideas what could have caused this anyone ??

View attachment 114527
Wow. Sorry I can’t help here. It will be interesting to find out how and why this has happened.

Wow. Sorry I can’t help here. It will be interesting to find out how and why this has happened.
The general consensus was I didn’t need different drop links so I never changed them , I have spoke to a few experts including Transporter HQ and even they have never known of a T6 doing this , ordered a set of drop links off them which I,ll fit this week!
The bigger problem will be the steering rack and if VW will sort it under warranty after the coilovers/drop links and top mount has been done.
To say I,m pissed off is an understatement mate .

You will have to look and see if the anti roll bar has been hitting the chassis or other item along its length, and thus stopping its free movement as the suspension moves. no motion in the arb would mean the drop link would be put under compression and cause the bending and eventual snapping you have experienced.

You will have to look and see if the anti roll bar has been hitting the chassis or other item along its length, and thus stopping its free movement as the suspension moves. no motion in the arb would mean the drop link would be put under compression and cause the bending and eventual snapping you have experienced.
Thank you, I did look and there didn’t seem to be any noticeable contact points , it’s going into my local garage to get the new drop links off Transporter HQ fitted on Thursday and they are going to give it a good check over (second opinion) before it goes to the main dealer for the fluid leak looked at !
If they say no to it covered under warranty i,ll need to re mortgage the house for a new steering rack :giggle:

Where is the rack leaking from and what is leaking? Is it possible the snapped drop link has punctured a gaitor?

Where is the rack leaking from and what is leaking? Is it possible the snapped drop link has punctured a gaitor?
Good thinking and thank you but the rack is leaking from the drivers side boot and the drop link was the passenger side which is also now starting to weap from the boot !!
All the symptoms of steering rack seals
:mad::(

Perhaps just two new gaitors??

I’d ask the garage to have a close look when doing the drop links. If the cost is reasonable sometimes its less stressful just to pay and have it done.

Ian

Perhaps just two new gaitors??

I’d ask the garage to have a close look when doing the drop links. If the cost is reasonable sometimes its less stressful just to pay and have it done.

Ian
I will do that , you never no I might get lucky fingers crossed. Thank you for the advice

Could you please provide the length difference between the standard and "specifically manufactured drop links"?

Update on the steering rack leak! Van gone to Hadwins VW in Grange over Sands and they are replacing the steering rack under warranty Apparently there is a design fault on a certain batch of them causing a leakage of fluid from the seals, fitting coilovers shouldn’t have caused it apparently but snapping a drop link might have !
But no problems as regards fixing under warranty, they have been fantastic tbh, a credit to VW

I’ve read a regular stream of threads with issues caused by changing from stock suspension.
Would it not be worth having a simple bullet point checklist that should be considered before the modification?
Perhaps to be updated by an Administrator so it’s a list not a 40 page debate.
Wheel alignment, wheel/arch clearance, noise, drop link match, drive shaft alignment, head lamp alignment.....

When I finally get my T6.1 I will be fitting STX coil overs and lowering about 40mm. Will I need longer drop links?
Hi there

, Many of the popular kits are not well designed and do need longer drop links , These kits include Van slam, B14 , B 14 komfort , Twin adjust project etc . The TUV certificate for these kits clearly states that these kits are only TUV approved if Longer drop lings are supplied . Of course all the companies selling these kits here in UK dont normally offer extended drop links as part of the package because UK doesnt have to have TUV approval .

The H&R and KW kits we sell do have a repositioned Bracket for the drop link and generally dont need longer drop links ( particularly at 40 mm )

Normally STX kits are fitted to go lower than 40 mm of course. is there a reason you would go that route rather than the KONI shocks and springs which are way more comfortable at 40 mm ?? ( Just being nosy ha ha )

Back