Droning Noise From Rear.

Staggsy

Hope someone can help. My T32 lwb Kombi has had a slight droning noise from the rear wheels for a long time. For some reason it sounded a lot worse yesterday. It sounds like a wheel bearing but I have jacked up the wheels and spun them. They don't feel rough or any play. Seems to be there from 35mph to 65mph. Only done 45ooo miles.
Any suggestions as to cause would be appreciated.
Thanks all

What is the tyre wear like? I had a similar issue once and it turned out to be uneven tyre wear.

Sounds like a wheel bearing or tyre noise? Unless it's a 4motion?

Try swapping the front and rear tyres to see if the sound moves?

As others have said a tyre can cause a noise that’s very similar to a wheel bearing noise. Have a look at the tyre and look for something called feathering. Google feathered tyre and it will come up with photos. Check both the inner and outer edges. It can happen on any tyre and with low mileage like yours.

Does the noise get louder or quieter when turning different directions? Sometimes the bearing noise changes as the wheel loaded and unloaded while cornering.

Okay. so had them properly checked. Van is 3yrs and 6weeks old , 45400 miles, heaviest it has carried is a dumpy bag of logs. Rear nearside bearing is cream crackered and offside also on its way out.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. VW say have to bring it to be assessed then book another visit to have them replaced. then would apply to VW for possible assistance with cost etc with no guarantee of any help. And they couldn't assess van for at least a week. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have the same issue. My van has just been in for a service (30,000) and they did not report any fault ... but since the service the noise has increased , noise does not change when cornering . What was the final cost to replace the rear bearings ?

Sounds like my wheel bearing is failing too. When ever I turn left the rumbling noise from the right rear wheel increases. Although I have 20" wheels, I can see any rubbing and the tyres are new. The van is in for it's MOT today so it will be interesting to see if they pick it up.
Any ideas on cost to replace because I'm not getting my hands dirty this time of year.

They don't feel rough or any play
We had a drone from the rear, local guy who is usually very good at diagnosing issues thought it sounded like a wheel bearing, so checked for play, roughness and even listened with a stethoscope. Said it didn't seem to be a wheel bearing. Got the tyres checked, not that. Then booked it in with Hawco VW (not commercial) for diagnosis, told me definitely nearside rear wheel bearing, just from sound when driving it (agreed no play or roughness). They were right!

heaviest it has carried is a dumpy bag of logs.
See my post here Wheel bearing replacement cost

Back