Dripping wet, inside not out.

Whilst spending half hour in the drive through COVID test site bribing the children to stick pointy things up their nose; something I’ve spent years telling them not to do, I noticed the passenger footwell was soaking wet. Apparently it’s been like that for ages but nobody thought to mention it.
I’ve moved the compost from the scuttle but the drains were not blocked. I removed the plastic panel from the bottom of the footwell to find something labelled RHS HVAC was wet on the outside. No idea if its coming from that or something dripping onto it from above. I’m not wanting to start removing the dash so anyone got any ideas?

9BD614F0-D566-4D20-88A5-7640914F5F76.jpeg

lf that's part of the HVAC and anything to do with the aircon it may just be condensate from operation, as it's so warm outside.
Also check the scuttle drain holes and aircon drain holes, if fitted.
On my Renault van the N/S scuttle drain hole would get blocked and water would end up in the footwell.

It’s raining cats and dogs right now. Big poodles on the floor. I’ll see if it’s worse tomorrow but I can’t see an air con unit draining to the footwell unless something is broken or blocked.

It’s raining cats and dogs right now. Big poodles on the floor. I’ll see if it’s worse tomorrow but I can’t see an air con unit draining to the footwell unless something is broken or blocked.
You might want to look if the roof rail holes are sealed properly. If not water can get in their and run down the a pillar. My passenger side carpet was really wet from this.

Regarding the roof rails, no damp on the pillars inside. Interestingly on each side I’ve 3 with these foam looking type washers and one without. What should it have?

53710150-841D-4788-824C-8C0CF309FB12.jpeg

6D67A77B-8F7F-4C56-A6BA-2A8A69748798.jpeg

lf that's part of the HVAC and anything to do with the aircon it may just be condensate from operation, as it's so warm outside.
Also check the scuttle drain holes and aircon drain holes, if fitted.
On my Renault van the N/S scuttle drain hole would get blocked and water would end up in the footwell.
Might have done you a disservice there. If the floor had something spilled on it it might evaporate and condense on the air pipe if it is cool enough, so everything then collects and drops in the one spot.
Clutching at straws?

l don't like the look of those bolts. l don't know the VW van, but if those washers are supposed to seal the bolts from water ingress l would replace them with some rubber washers ASAP

For starters I’d get 8 new OEM roof bolts and replace them all. You cannot purchase the washers separately they only come with the bolts.

I’ll do that regardless of the cause. Thanks. Just found a post suggesting to check ac drain going through bulkhead. I’ll do that too and see if it’s cured.

Quick search on ebay the part number is WHT006148 - about £8 for 4. Maybe worth calling your local VW parts store as occasionally they are cheaper than ebay!! And also to confirm the part number is correct

Quick search on ebay the part number is WHT006148 - about £8 for 4. Maybe worth calling your local VW parts store as occasionally they are cheaper than ebay!! And also to confirm the part number is correct
Thank you. I’ll check with the dealer about part number and get off eBay. 8 days isolation to go

Less than £10 for all 8 direct from TPS. You might be lucky and find your local branch will still supply the public. If not, definitely try VW.

Mental note: Do not pull that rubber drain pipe off before you have something to catch the deluge . I think I’ve found the problem. Surprising amount of detritus came out with it. Now for a pipe cleaner which I’m bound not to have. Thanks all

Back