DPF Regen - LED to show you it’s starting?

Slap_ed

DPF Regeneration T28 Highline 150ps 2018

I think it’s poor that you don’t get some sort of warning light as to when the regen process starts. Yes the tickover revs rise to 1000, sometimes you get a smell, fan comes on and sometimes a performance change in the engine. My experience is only the revs at tickover rising to 1000rpm and fan on so it’s easy not to know that the process has started, unless you pull up at a junction. If I knew when this process had started, I could maximise the effect of the regeneration process by maintaining the revs between 2k and 3k rpm.

What are people’s thoughts about fixing a small LED warning light to the cooling fan power lead? The fan rarely, if ever comes on due to excessive coolant temperatures but we know it always comes on when the DPF is regenerating. This would then allow you to drive accordingly to hopefully maximise the DPF cleaning process.

Does anyone know if you can get a inductive pick-up coil that could simply be clamped around the fans power lead (doesn’t create warranty issues if they see a lead physically connected) so it can sense the power to the fan and hopefully put the warning light on. Can these inductive pick-up coils generate enough power to light a LED bulb?

Does this make sense?
Can you get an inductive pick-up coil?
Any other ideas?

Would it work?

Once it's doing an active regen.. I'd just let it do it's own thing.
Give it a rip up the motorway now and then if the majority of your motoring is stop/start.

There is that but I’d like to assist the process when it starts I.e when exhaust temperatures are raised. Trying to avoid the dreaded warning lights and future problems.

I’ve had diesel cars/vans with a DPF since 2007, and have never had an issue with regens or DPF soot.
I can’t believe that fitting an LED to the fan switch would invalidate your warranty though - sounds like a good idea if you want extra info.

Pete

Don't think maintaining the revs between 2/3000 when it's in active regen mode makes any difference.
Maintaining a high exhaust temperature will facilitate passive regen mode.

Pete.
I’m the same, never had issues with DPF. Probably being over cautious hearing about all the problems others have had.

Tic tac.
I would have thought that higher revs would stand a better chance of ejecting the released particles due to the increased gas flow?

My caravelle had 6 trips to the dealers in 6 years for dpf issues. Had new egr valves, flushes, new cooler. The dealers were very good and fixed it out of warranty as well (flush egr).

The way I see it is...just use it as you would any other car.
I mean if it's part way through a regen,when you park up at home..do you really want yo be sitting there,holding the revs up,until it's finished?
I know there are some reported problems,but what percentage of total vans on the road are affected?
And how many of those vans are standard?
At the end of the day...if my van becomes a PITA..it'll go,and I'll never grace the doors of Volkswagen again.

I have pulled onto our drive and shut the engine down with a DPF regen underway many times in many different cars. Because I don’t do many short trips, I know it will sort itself out the next time I drive it.
You only need to worry about this if you know you are going to do a load of short trips next (in my experience).

Pete

..... Sto utilizzando la nuova versione beta di Carista, nel menu di manutenzione comparirà anche la possibilità di avviare una rigenerazione del dpf ... super

I am using the new beta version of Carista, the possibility to start a regeneration of the dpf will also appear in the maintenance menu ... super

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly, I would like some sort of indication when a regeneration is taking place. I do not want to fight the cybermen or the Daleks, all on my own, while the Dr. does all that quivering and can not make his mind up who is taking over!:smile bounce::fast rofl:

I would like a tell tail informing me when it is happening. I would then drive on, not stop and take the most appropriate action. Which is............take to the hills or just drive at a steady 50 or so? has there been any changes to advice or do any of the resident experts have better more appropriate advice?

I have a sticker on my windscreen (and VW have a web-page) about the DPF warning light. I have never seen it come on in 2 years, although I regularly have the engine fan running full blast when I get home from a 5 - 10 mile drive.

DPF Warning Sticker.jpg

.... un piccolo voltmetro nella presa dell'accendisigari mi aiuta a capire quando inizia la rigenerazione, normalmente l'alternatore con le luci accese carica a 13,3-13,5 volt ... quando si rigenera la tensione sale a 14,8 volt. ... pochi centesimi aggeggio ...

What I meant to type was...
a small voltmeter in the cigarette lighter socket helps me to understand when the regeneration starts, normally the alternator with the lights on charges at 13.3-13.5 volts ... when you regenerate the voltage rises to 14.8 volts. ... a few cents contraption ...

This is from T6 manual.

Zrzut ekranu z 2021-05-25 10-42-31.png

I wonder if this is additional functionality of engine control unit thus a specific SW version.
Or maybe this can be coded?
Matti @mmi have you got anything about courier vehicles?

I wonder if this is additional functionality of engine control unit thus a specific SW version.
Or maybe this can be coded?
Matti @mmi have you got anything about courier vehicles?
Well, the software id :geek: in this scan sticks out like a sore thumb.

Just to stick to the topic :)

Reactions: mmi
Back