DPF Regen Frequency / Issues / Force discussion.

Just a general comment. On EU6 T6 the "normal" full active regen phase lasts about 20-25 mins. The active regen won't start until engine has warmed up so a few more minutes are needed for that when started cold. This seems to be common with EU5 T6.
I'd like to think that having DPF light on means that there is more accumulated soot than normally, so my guess is a few extra minutes are needed to clear that extra.

Just had mine come on at 5k. Followed the instructions on sticker in wind screen ie 40 plus at 2000 to 2500 revs for approx 15 mins and it goes off. Must admit most of mine are short journeys to and from work. Seemed to use quite a bit of fuel though.

@T6speed How much fuel do you have? I’m lead to believe although not expierenced it myself that if the vans fuel is below a certain level possibly 1/4 it can’t initiate a regen and therefore will throw up the light until it can do so.
We've had the dpf light on twice now (30k miles), both times the refuel light was on, and we had done a couple of short (4miles ish) journeys.
Filled it up with fuel, and followed the sticker on the windscreen, and within 15 miles it had gone out both times.
So i agree, it doesn't start a regen, if its low on fuel; and that can upset my lovely vel.
Think well try to keep it a little fuller in future.;)

Mine has just tipped over 1ok miles and I've not seen the DPF light yet. Fingers crossed I haven't jinxed it now!

Hi all, wondered what others were finding with regen frequency on their T6's.

I have a 102 panel van, '17 reg, 5500 miles and it's driving me nuts! On average it's trying to do a regen every third day, I spend more time driving it places I don't need to go as per vw's recommendations for a regen than i do actually going where I want to go.
It seems to want to do a regen the day after I've done a longer trip for some reason. Took it a 40 mile run on Saturday as fans were running flat out everytime I stopped on the Friday which cured that, I've done 57 miles since then and today it's back to the fans running flat out everytime I stop. Fuel economy also is terrible, getting around 340 miles from a full tank where previous T5.1 102 returned 575 miles doing the same job.

Is there anything I can do / have done to stop it doing this?? It's really spoiling the ownership experience.

Thanks.

we are getting 2/3 regens per tank of fuel.

one at about 80% fuel tank level & one about 40% fuel level.

80% city 20% motorway driving . . . (at least 4-6hrs drive time per day)

Remember that if the the regen cycle is not complete it will try again, and again, and again, and again - until the fuel level is too low (under 1/4ish tank i think)

The regen cycles are automated depending on your driving style/cycles and parameters stored in the ECU,

the ECU monitors engine load and fuel consumption against exhaust temps and pressures before and after the DPF . . . . . . from this the ECU determines the Ash buildup in the DPF and attempts to burn it off with regens..

im assuming your driving style is cutting the regens short, so its trying again the following day once all temps are up to correct levels . . .

Failing that, . . . . a fun running at high speed is a sign of a high engine temp. maybe another problem?

First two things to check
  • In year 2017 there was a recall of “Exhaust pressure differential sender (G505)” which monitors pressure over DPF. The failure of this sensor would cause irregular and too frequent regens.
  • There was a recall of software update for engine (published Dec-2016) which significantly improved/stabilized the regen process.
------------------
And then, regen statistics extracted from a EU6 150PS engine.
  • 88 consecutive regens:
    • Shortest interval 160 km (100 miles),
    • in average 270 km (168 miles),
    • longest 431 km (268 miles).
The interval is from end-to-end so each including about 20 mins of regen. The time in regen seems to be almost constant.​

For the above majority of my driving was 30km (30 mins, relaxed traffic, max speed 85 km/h) in the morning and the same back in the evening. Obviously when doing shorter runs you get regens slightly more often and doing longer runs, or actually speedier runs, less regens. To stretch active regen period over 400 km I need to keep speed at about 120 km/h (75mph).​

Mine went in for service a couple of weeks ago, mentioned it to the service manager, he just said it was normal

We have a 102bhp camper - ‘66 reg and 18,000 miles. I don’t think we have ever noticed a regen happening, but most trips for us are over 100 miles.

Pete

First two things to check
  • In year 2017 there was a recall of “Exhaust pressure differential sender (G505)” which monitors pressure over DPF. The failure of this sensor would cause irregular and too frequent regens.
  • There was a recall of software update for engine (published Dec-2016) which significantly improved/stabilized the regen process.
------------------
And then, regen statistics extracted from a EU6 150PS engine.
  • 88 consecutive regens:
    • Shortest interval 160 km (100 miles),
    • in average 270 km (168 miles),
    • longest 431 km (268 miles).
The interval is from end-to-end so each including about 20 mins of regen. The time in regen seems to be almost constant.​

For the above majority of my driving was 30km (30 mins, relaxed traffic, max speed 85 km/h) in the morning and the same back in the evening. Obviously when doing shorter runs you get regens slightly more often and doing longer runs, or actually speedier runs, less regens. To stretch active regen period over 400 km I need to keep speed at about 120 km/h (75mph).​

Thanks very much for that mmi, I'll make enquiry's about the recall.
Has anyone dealt with Edinburgh Van Centre? Previous van went to Carlisle van centre a few time's but like Buster everything I queried on that van was swiftly brushed aside with the 'they all do that, it's normal' line.

we are getting 2/3 regens per tank of fuel.

one at about 80% fuel tank level & one about 40% fuel level.

80% city 20% motorway driving . . . (at least 4-6hrs drive time per day)

Remember that if the the regen cycle is not complete it will try again, and again, and again, and again - until the fuel level is too low (under 1/4ish tank i think)

The regen cycles are automated depending on your driving style/cycles and parameters stored in the ECU,

the ECU monitors engine load and fuel consumption against exhaust temps and pressures before and after the DPF . . . . . . from this the ECU determines the Ash buildup in the DPF and attempts to burn it off with regens..

im assuming your driving style is cutting the regens short, so its trying again the following day once all temps are up to correct levels . . .

Failing that, . . . . a fun running at high speed is a sign of a high engine temp. maybe another problem?

My van does 80% town driving with 20% A class roads. My frustration is that it jerks and stutters drinking lots of fuel every few days. Each time I fill the tank up it starts trying to regen and within 50 miles I'm down to 3/4 of a tank of fuel again!

..... even my Cali 150 ps regenerates very often, although I let it finish finish the regeneration even with the car stopped (I do not turn off the engine).
I do not understand what the fuel level in the tank affects ..?

..... even my Cali 150 ps regenerates very often, although I let it finish finish the regeneration even with the car stopped (I do not turn off the engine).
I do not understand what the fuel level in the tank affects ..?
The engine will not do a regen if the fuel level is below a certain limit (think it’s quarter of a tank). A number of members have found that their DPF light was coming on and the cause in some cases turned out to be them always running with a low fuel level.

3 Regens per tank is completely normal. Happens without fail. 40k on mine all latest software updates.
This causes crap fuel economy of course.

How do you tell your van is doing a regen, had my van nearly 2 yrs and can honestly say I’ve never noticed it doing one! I am fairly tuned into my van noticing subtle changes in noises squeaks or rattles or even detecting different fuels from different stations!!!! I generally only do 10 miles reach way to work, and maybe a little more at weekend.

... you notice when driving when you hear a different response to the accelerator ... when you stop the minimum remains on 1000 rpm, and the fans are on .... also hear a smell from the exhaust ... lasts about 7- 10 minutes then the minimum passes and returns normal .....

If I’ve got my stop start activated
It sometimes gives me the A and a line through it top right of MFD display.

Do I take it that it’s doing a regain then ??

Thanks

I've never seen this ....
I nevertheless never wanted to make any updates to the engine control unit from the dealer ... I have already had a bad experience never resolved with another VW engine .... they do not know what they do ....

Mine does it pretty much every day, including about half an hour ago, I don't pay any attention to it any more.

Back