Dpf Regen & Dsg Coasting

Westy78

2017 T6 Kombi 204DSG
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’ve started to use the coasting function to try and get a few more mpg. However with the engine dropping to idle every time I’m off the throttle will this interfere with the regen?

Surely a good blat at a constant of over 2000rpm will favour a complete regen cycle over interruptions from coasting ??

I need to start recording it but believe that it is regenerating more frequently now I’m using the coasting function on the DSG.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Turned off coasting, in stop/start traffic I was thinking there would be excessive use and therefore wear on the clutch system. Would rather pay more on fuel than wear at some point in the future.

Good thought though about the relationship of regen and coasting.

I’ve started to use the coasting function to try and get a few more mpg. However with the engine dropping to idle every time I’m off the throttle will this interfere with the regen?

Surely a good blat at a constant of over 2000rpm will favour a complete regen cycle over interruptions from coasting ??

I need to start recording it but believe that it is regenerating more frequently now I’m using the coasting function on the DSG.

Has anyone else experienced this?
During active regen ECU initiates an additional injection burst outside of actual power stroke - at about 190..210 degrees (after TDC), thus injecting fuel into cylinder when exhaust valve is open and piston traveling up pushing out the exhaust gases including that extra dose of vaporizing fuel. This extra dose is combusted (after turbochargers) in catalytic converter thus maintaining or pushing up the gas temperature to about 650C for the DPF.

This extra injection scheme is on pretty much full time throughout whole regenning - no interrupts even when doing engine braking. However, haven't been able to do longer than 40 second runs using engine braking (foot off throttle) to see if there is a limit.

On tick-over the regen process continues up to 5-8 minutes. Normal regen lasts about 20 minutes.

So I would say that the coasting won't interfere with the regen.

Last edited:
During active regen ECU initiates an additional injection burst outside of actual power stroke - at about 190..210 degrees (after TDC), thus injecting fuel into cylinder when exhaust valve is open and piston traveling up pushing out the exhaust gases including that extra dose of vaporizing fuel. This extra dose is combusted (after turbochargers) in catalytic converter thus maintaining or pushing up the gas temperature to about 650C for the DPF.

This extra injection scheme is on pretty much full time throughout whole regenning - no interrupts even when doing engine braking. However, haven't been able to do longer than 40 second runs using engine braking (foot off throttle) to see if there is a limit.

On tick-over the regen process continues max 5-8 minutes. Normal regen lasts about 20 minutes.

So I would say that the coasting won't interfere with the regen.
Thanks very useful info

Back