Doorcard and headlining retrim DIY

Sabaxter

T6
T6 Pro
Good afternoon guys. One of my first posts so go easy on me.

I've acquired some shuttle doorcards similar to the caravelle ones but without the chrome trim down the center.

I've decided I'm going to retrim them with faux black leather on the bottom and do the center panel aubergine, we're having a new couch today so before I disposed the old one which was leather and aubergine, I've cut off some huge pieces of leather to use.

So being all excited I've removed all the welds and now have the sliding door card and the center piece bothe seperated Wiped it over and applied trim adhesive to both the plastic panel and the leather, however the glue seems to not be holding the material very well at all. I'm struggling to get the leather to affix to the grooves and and corners/edges

Anyone done this before and can recommend products or tips?

So I took the plunge. I managed to grab some california door cards for £100 on the bay, looking a little worse for wear IMG-20220718-WA0004.jpeg
So having never done this before here goes and likely to have got parts in the wrong order

First I used a dremel to remove the plastic welds however I couldn't fully get the fabric panel off so what else to do but skin it whilst in place!

IMG-20220718-WA0010.jpeg
Next was to paint the remainder of the door. Watched some YouTube and went for whitewood, sugar soap and panel wiped just to give the surface a key for the paint

Ran off to the local pound shop for tins of paint that aren't a pound! False advertisement eh

Anyhow a few hours this morning and here's the result

IMG-20220718-WA0012.jpegIMG-20220718-WA0014.jpegIMG-20220718-WA0017.jpeg

Here's a contrast image IMG-20220718-WA0016.jpg

Note to self don't use satin paint as it contrasts to much with the factory colour however a few dusting of matt black and I was happy with myself for 3 hours work and approx £10 in materials!

Finished off with 2mm silentcoat on the rear and 6mm noise barrier ready for the audison setup

IMG-20220717-WA0014.jpeg

So I took the plunge. I managed to grab some california door cards for £100 on the bay, looking a little worse for wear View attachment 165690
So having never done this before here goes and likely to have got parts in the wrong order

First I used a dremel to remove the plastic welds however I couldn't fully get the fabric panel off so what else to do but skin it whilst in place!

View attachment 165692
Next was to paint the remainder of the door. Watched some YouTube and went for whitewood, sugar soap and panel wiped just to give the surface a key for the paint

Ran off to the local pound shop for tins of paint that aren't a pound! False advertisement eh

Anyhow a few hours this morning and here's the result

View attachment 165693View attachment 165694View attachment 165695

Here's a contrast image View attachment 165696

Note to self don't use satin paint as it contrasts to much with the factory colour however a few dusting of matt black and I was happy with myself for 3 hours work and approx £10 in materials!

Finished off with 2mm silentcoat on the rear and 6mm noise barrier ready for the audison setup

View attachment 165691
Good work! What paint did you use?

Good work! What paint did you use?
I'm not gonna lie it's the cheap colour it that they stock in most pound stores etc. To be fair I've tried loads of spray paints over the years and must say the mist/spray quality was actually really good no spitting etc I think it was £2.99 for a matt black 400ml can so not bad.

Back