Door Speaker Has Gone Tinny

Jimbobadini

T6 Pro
Hi, had a search and can’t find anything. My driver side door speaker has gone very tinny and quiet originally thought the mid had failed but this is actually playing but sounds like a tweeter!? Tried a different stereo and it’s the same. Had the door card off and accessible connections good? Any Ideas?? Thanks

The speaker are monitored.... so have you got any fault codes stored.?

Also the tweeter is in the A-piller, the door card speaker is a full range unit.

Try a Radio reset.... push and hold radio power button until radio boot screen appears.

Or try....

Power hard reset.... disconnect starter battery for 10mins...

Or try.....

Take door card off and swap speaker over. (You will need to drill out the rivets)

Another possible issue maybe damaged core in the door loom loop....... but only in a later millage/year van.

The tweeter in the A pillar is still working. The mid is playing but very quietly and sounds just like the tweeter.
I’ve fitted a different head unit a while back so tried the original to check the headunit wasn’t at fault and it was still the same. -But will try the reboot.

Does it use a crossover or is the tweeter just filtered? Will have to see if I can get my hands on another speaker to test that.

@Jimbobadini did you ever get to the root of this? Mine have just done the same, I've not checked anything yet but lo and behold the t6 forum throws up a similar issue, wondered if you found a cure?

Hi yes. The magnet at the back of the speaker became detached from the frame the magnet is a close fit to the coil so it had shifted stopping the cone from moving. Replacement speaker I’m afraid. It could be manipulated into position to get the speaker working again but required strong fingers as the magnet fights back so impossible to re bond

Ah right I see! I'm going to have to wait until the weekend to have a look but thanks for the insight, much appreciated :thumbsup:

no problem. Replacing the speakers isn't to bad a job i got the vibe kit from halfords when it was on offer, wasn't after spending much on it at the time and there a fair improvement over originals. The door cards come off fairly easily. Theres a few vids on how to do it knocking around.

Yeah I've been in there already to sound deaden, only the dry side though, and the sound was.... was improved, I wonder if I've done somthing daft, but can't think what as I made sure I stayed clear of the speaker itself, will report back when I get chance look.

So on further inspection, it seems its the speakers themselves, firstly tried disconnecting the battery and leaving for a bit, to no avail, had the door cards off today and my hand behind the inner and I can physically spin the magnet on the back....

Yeah sounds like you have the same issue I had. On a positive..it’s a good excuse to upgrade. Since before I’ve stuck a Kenwood 8019 in and they sound really good!

Last edited:
Yeah my thoughts exactly, just a bit sooner than I would've liked. A bit miffed as to how they've both gone at the same time, wondering wether sound deadening and dodo matting has created some kind of vacuum that has dislodged the magnets when I've shut the doors?! I have no idea. Thanks for the recommendation on speakers too.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, just a bit sooner than I would've liked. A bit miffed as to how they've both gone at the same time, wondering wether sound deadening and dodo matting has created some kind of vacuum that has dislodged the magnets when I've shut the doors?! I have no idea. Thanks for the recommendation on speakers too.

They are made for pennies and the design hasn’t changed in 17 years... most of the time the voice coils melt, resulting in tinny sound,

I’ve only seen the magnet full of twice before and I have changed hundreds of these speakers over the years..

We offer many plug and play speaker kits

Hi I had the exact same issue on my 2011 t5.1. So I have replaced the speaker for a pioneer upgrade and still have the same problem speaker is very quiet unless I turn the head unit up really loud then it will sometimes kick in sometimes it won’t. Any suggestions guys? I’m running a standard head unit I fitter about 3 months ago.

Back