Door slamming, bouncing and air pressure

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So, my driver's door rarely closes first time unless I slam it. The dreaded sounds-like-a-golf seal problem. But today, we wife was getting out of the van at the same time and the driver's door shut first time without slamming it.

Hmm, so if the air pressure is relieved, the driver's door closes first time?

So, I tried the same with the sliding door. Same effect...if any other door is open I can slide the sliding door shut with very little effort.

So, I try the same with the barn doors, yes they shut easily too when another door is open.

So it seems that all of the doors suffer bounce or are left ajar when they are the last doors closed, except the front passenger door, unless they are slammed.

So how can I relieve the pressure? I hear there's pressure release valves in the d-pillar hence the big gap below the rear trim panel, but can they end up blocked? Where can I look?

My old BMW had a "feature" where it cracked the window open 10mm when you opened the door

... until the door was closed. At which point it closed the window fully.

To stop the air pressure and pop.

Clever stuff.....

When I’m in the drivers seat, in a van without soft close etc, I drop the window an inch or so when people are closing their doors - makes life so much easier. You could do the same when exiting the vehicle, and then use the lazy close feature to close the windows.
HTH

My old BMW had a "feature" where it cracked the window open 10mm when you opened the door

... until the door was closed. At which point it closed the window fully.

To stop the air pressure and pop.

Clever stuff.....

On the coupes?, was also because the window went into the seal when closed - we see them in the workshop when this feature has stopped working, and when you close the door, the window sits on the outside of the seal.

Very clever form BMW…..until it breaks ;-)

So, my driver's door rarely closes first time unless I slam it. The dreaded sounds-like-a-golf seal problem. But today, we wife was getting out of the van at the same time and the driver's door shut first time without slamming it.

Hmm, so if the air pressure is relieved, the driver's door closes first time?

So, I tried the same with the sliding door. Same effect...if any other door is open I can slide the sliding door shut with very little effort.

So, I try the same with the barn doors, yes they shut easily too when another door is open.

So it seems that all of the doors suffer bounce or are left ajar when they are the last doors closed, except the front passenger door, unless they are slammed.

So how can I relieve the pressure? I hear there's pressure release valves in the d-pillar hence the big gap below the rear trim panel, but can they end up blocked? Where can I look?
There is a large vent at the bottom of each D Pillar under the bumper, it’s a simple rubber flap method so it can’t fail.
The standard VW lining panels in that area have holes.
If your van has been lined and carpeted as has mine the venting process will be impeded slightly. I have issues with is the sliding door and I think that’s the same on 90% of vans and the tailgate when it’s slammed too fast.
It was exactly the same when the van was a standard Kombi so I don’t think the lining makes much difference.
It’s just another shite quirk that VW include for free!

I’ve found the family have got used to applying a certain force to shut the doors. If another door or window is open it feels like the door has been slammed.

I find keeping hold of the door and following through when you shut it gives just enough weight / momentum to close it.

The side door closing is a bit like 10 pin bowling, it’s all about letting go at the right time.
Please nobody suggest I get power latching, I might have considered if VW had a better reliability record.

I’ve found the family have got used to applying a certain force to shut the doors. If another door or window is open it feels like the door has been slammed.

I find keeping hold of the door and following through when you shut it gives just enough weight / momentum to close it.
“This is the way!”

I solved the issue by mistake as I tend to always leave my front windows open a smidgeon but it can’t be seen through the wind deflectors. That said, with them closed, there is a difference when it comes to closing doors.

I know there are slam vents which vent to outsode of the van via the rear bumper sides. Where internally do these route to the outside? Just wondering if thermal liner blocks the venting?

Last edited:
Typically through a grid of holes in the lower rear corner of the rear side panels. This is a real left panel, for reference. As mentioned above, any lining work which either removes or blocks these or, fills the void behind with insulation will impede what little airflow they allow.
1000005340.jpg

That looks great. Trouble is my van was insulated, lined and carpeted and then the folding bed put in the way so I think I’d struggle to get the board out.
Will have a look when I get the chance though.

Hopefully all the campervans out there with a LPG installation have a gas drop out vent in the ‘living area’ which will do the same job for closing doors.

Back