Doing a sikaflex seal this time of year... no garage..how?

scotia

Mechanical engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello, had our sca roof installed here a few years ago and the wind deflector was badly sealed.. I've just noticed that its not a great seal and i need to redo it.. here all garages are a mess with covid and we dont have a garage where i can do it in the dry.. so what to do?! Is the 10degC on the instructions really the limit? I have a possible window wednesday but here in switzerland the weather is just v changeable now and im not sure whether i should risk it or not.. i might be able to take it to a body shop in 2 weeks time but i dont know for sure..

If it’s dry, give it a go. Worst case is that you’d have to do it again when the weather is warmer!

Hello, had our sca roof installed here a few years ago and the wind deflector was badly sealed.. I've just noticed that its not a great seal and i need to redo it.. here all garages are a mess with covid and we dont have a garage where i can do it in the dry.. so what to do?! Is the 10degC on the instructions really the limit? I have a possible window wednesday but here in switzerland the weather is just v changeable now and im not sure whether i should risk it or not.. i might be able to take it to a body shop in 2 weeks time but i dont know for sure..
You said it was badly done the first time around, IMO why risk a second time with a poor result. I’d wait.

True, the weather is not great so I'd risk a poor result. I've just had an offer from a mate to use his underground parking which should be warm enough.. I might give that a go tbh as to not have a seal over the winter would do my head in..

You should be ok, we have used in cold temps and apart from extruding difficulties its not too bad. Heat the tubes of adhesive if possible. Thing is the SCA spoiler is one complete piece with the roof platform so you wont be able to remove spoiler to prep properly underneath. As niknak says the correct primer should have been used but I don't think you will be able to apply primer at this stage. Good luck

You should be ok, we have used in cold temps and apart from extruding difficulties its not too bad. Heat the tubes of adhesive if possible. Thing is the SCA spoiler is one complete piece with the roof platform so you wont be able to remove spoiler to prep properly underneath. As niknak says the correct primer should have been used but I don't think you will be able to apply primer at this stage. Good luck
Yeah that should be ok, the seal at the sides is ok they just did a poor job at the front. It's not ideal but I'm not sure of the possibility to take it back and get it redone..?! What would you guys do if a customer came in with that? As pros?

It depends, older roofs people used to put window trim around spoilers. Dont ask me why, looks bloody awful. If its the front i would wedge the spoiler up, clean out what you can and put new adhesive down and clean off. Careful though as some of the roofs have screws through from behind headlining into the rear of the spoiler to hold it all down. Newer ones such as sca 194 have metal plates which are glued down, no screws. Sone of the spoilers dont fit very well and need to be strapped down until the glue dries. So you may need to do this.

Send photos to info@eclipsecustomcampers.com and I'll have a look tomorrow and advise accordingly.
Cheers
Ian :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Was about to say some soft wood wedges tapped in and sealant pumped in and tooled down

thanks for the advice on here - as always. i wont be able to get any photos as im a bit stuck this am with work. But the installer is going to come and do this for me - working in my friends garage..hopefully this is the end of it!

Back