Dogs transported in campers

The LWB makes all the difference with our dog, got room for her on the floor but usually now we spin the twin passenger seat round and cover the seat, our lab then sleeps on that chair out of the way.

Sleeping in the pop top is fine, come morning the dog is up and out of the seat waiting on her breakfast first thing. Sleeping downstairs in the RIB spaces becomes a bit more of a premium when the RIB is folded out but againa, if shes on the twin passenger seat then its no bother.

We're picking up our new pup next month so will need to get used to travelling with two dogs. Will be crate training the new pup so going to try getting her used to sleeping in that wee gap under front of the RIB seat when you fold it out into a bed. If that doesn't work though we still have plenty of floor space with it being a LWB for one of them while the other is on the seat.
Thanks for that. Sounds like we are in very similar positions. Have the dogs ever slept on the awning?

Im going to spin front seat on a night too... Down to one dog this week so will be easier camping... This lab isnt the full on hair producing monster either

Thanks for that. Sounds like we are in very similar positions. Have the dogs ever slept on the awning?
We only have a wind out awning, I wouldn't trust Lady in a full awning by herself not to bark the place down at every passer by

She'd likely find her way out too as she's a bit of an escape artist.

Lastly, I'd be a bit afraid leaving out the van overnight with all these stories of dog thefts these days - Lady would happily go off with someone if they had a biscuit :D

Thinking ahead of our camper conversion due to arrive next spring. We have a medium sized dog, Monty, 20kg of fun, who will join us on our camping trips.

He’s a fine traveller in the car, we use an Orvis hammock on the back seats, he’s tethered to the seat belt via an attachment to his harness. Obviously that won’t be possible in the camper as the seats are at the back of the van with nothing in front of them to hook the hammock on. So, what to do?

Keen to hear tips from other camper van owners with dogs. How do you transport them safely in your van? And, in fact, any other suggestions on “must have” accessories when travelling with your dog. I’m spending enough already, may as well add some dog related stuff to the budget :)

CA9A0549-FE18-454B-A3E2-057F06F90ED4.jpeg

We have a clip for leads etc on back of drivers seat and our two springers sleep on the floor of the camper whilst driving.

We have a clip for leads etc on back of drivers seat and our two springers sleep on the floor of the camper whilst driving.

Thanks. I had thought about putting his bed on the camper floor and tethering him to something. Hadn’t thought of the front seats, so that sounds a decent option.

Dog mat on the floor, secured to the RIB seat frame (otherwise he has a habit of wandering and getting under my feet/pedals). Also the law requires it....
He hates vehicles and dribbles/pants a lot, so we tend to leave him at home with someone if we can.

Dog mat on the floor, secured to the RIB seat frame (otherwise he has a habit of wandering and getting under my feet/pedals). Also the law requires it....
He hates vehicles and dribbles/pants a lot, so we tend to leave him at home with someone if we can.

So far we are lucky in that Monty sleeps most of the time when in the car, no issues. Hopefully he‘ll be the same in a van. I know that securely tethering him is a legal requirement and would also do that for safety reasons anyway. RIB frame is another option then as we‘ll have a RIB bed in our conversion.

We had a dog in a Kombi….Dog bed on floor with safety lead….but no good for your setup….But if your van is being converted why not ask the converter ( if they are not being used ..other than covered with carpet liner) to put D rings on the C pillar seat belt anchor points …we’ve used the the anchor points on the wheel arch as a tie downs

ps We also used to put the bed between the two front seats …She was a true Dub dog :(

as example

AB6C454A-8CD8-4DB8-97EC-E39651FA476C.jpeg

Last edited:
But if your van is being converted why not ask the converter ( if they are not being used ..other than covered with carpet liner) to put D rings on the C pillar seat belt anchor points

Thats a very good idea. I’ll ask them. They may have other ideas for tethering points too, I’m sure I won’t be the first to ask.

So far we are lucky in that Monty sleeps most of the time when in the car, no issues. Hopefully he‘ll be the same in a van. I know that securely tethering him is a legal requirement and would also do that for safety reasons anyway. RIB frame is another option then as we‘ll have a RIB bed in our conversion.
If he get him used to being there, he'll be underneath the bed to sleep . Looks like you can just use the hammock/bed thing you already have?

Mine travels in a dog crate which is secured with a ratchet strap to removable eyes in the Reimo sliding bed rail.
If I’m taking her on a trip which involves an overnight stay in the van she travels in her bed on the front seat secured with a dog safety lead clipped into the seat belt clip.

Interested to know how you all transport your dogs around in your vans, currently we attach our 3 to the Kombi seats, but as we are looking to get a fourth dog I was wondering what we could go so they are in the back, but still have room to stretch out and not be cramped in small cages, but still be securely fastened in.

Interested to know how you all transport your dogs around in your vans, currently we attach our 3 to the Kombi seats, but as we are looking to get a fourth dog I was wondering what we could go so they are in the back, but still have room to stretch out and not be cramped in small cages, but still be securely fastened in.
I would always go for crates. I have an infinity custom bed which I use as a platform to support the crates and provides useful storage underneath. If you don't need the second row of seats, the platform will extend over them and you should get fair size crated in - mine are 4 x 30" crates. I could retell a horror story about a friend who had 3 dogs killed in an RTA and 4 survived. I will spare you the horrible details but will say that the 4 survivors were in crates & the 3 fatalities weren't.

I would always go for crates. I have an infinity custom bed which I use as a platform to support the crates and provides useful storage underneath. If you don't need the second row of seats, the platform will extend over them and you should get fair size crated in - mine are 4 x 30" crates. I could retell a horror story about a friend who had 3 dogs killed in an RTA and 4 survived. I will spare you the horrible details but will say that the 4 survivors were in crates & the 3 fatalities weren't.
Many thanks for the reply, the build looks awesome, and thanks for sparing me the horror story.
Seems only the imagination is the limit when having anything done to this vans, so I can dream something up for the dogs and get it built by someone, that is so cool.

Back