Dog / Luggage guard for Caravelle

PenfoldE6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi.

I am new to the forum and loving all the advice. I have a new t6 SWB edition 6 velle and for my holiday trips i plan to remove the two middle seats and push the bench seat forward.

I am after then installing some sort of luggage gaurd and load up all the luggage so nothing comes into the cabin and then either use a luggage net or another guard to secure the luggage and then throw the dogs in the back. That way we can easily get the dogs out for stops etc.

Does anyone have any advice as to what to buy or get made and the best way to fix them?

Cheers....

I can't recommend a specific dog guard, but have you considered a dog crate/cage for the back?
It gives the dogs a safe and secure space of their own as nothing can fall and encroach on them, plus you can open the back without them jumping out as they are fully caged in.
We've used stuff from here: Barjo and they were excellent.

We had a custom cage built for our 3 labradors by . We got it to be as large as possible while fitting in the recess of the non sliding door side, and even angled at the front to allow the drivers seat to recline. Barjo have done stuff for us before, but we got this one built by Hamster Baskets
Dog and Pet Cages | Hamster Baskets

We had a custom cage built for our 3 labradors by . We got it to be as large as possible while fitting in the recess of the non sliding door side, and even angled at the front to allow the drivers seat to recline. Barjo have done stuff for us before, but we got this one built by Hamster Baskets
Dog and Pet Cages | Hamster Baskets

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I am very interested in this subject as I'm trying to find a design that will work for me and our two labradors. Do you have any pictures you can post?

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I am very interested in this subject as I'm trying to find a design that will work for me and our two labradors. Do you have any pictures you can post?
Here you go. The cage is secured to the floor with zip ties round the rear seat mounting points. There are doors in both the side and back so we can use either option depending on what else we have in the van
cage1.jpg cage2.jpg

Ours sits on her bed behind the passenger seat. So far in four years of California-ing around Europe, she's been fine.
Maybe we should nail her to the floor?

Like @Polzeylad our two dogs sat on the shelf behind the back seat on a comfy bed looking out at the cars behind, they were restrained though as you say whey ever works for you and it would not be those poxy zip ties. That cage looks like a prison don't you put a bed in there for the poor thing. ;)

Firstly, we would never have our dogs completely unrestrained. The cage limits how far they would travel in the event of a serious accident, and even if they hit the cage sides, they are flat and deformable so much better than hitting a solid and/or sharp object. We would not be happy with the dogs loose in the van, even if restrained.

The cage is not half as much a prison as the thing you linked to which our dogs would hate, and it allows all three of them to lie in comfort next to each other and within sight of us. The cage floor is a rubber mat on top of which we put vetbed when they are in there

Having a cage in the van also allows us to leave the van doors open for ventilation and a view out if we are close by but don't want them with us, or for extra security we can even padlock the cage.

Our lab is very obedient; she never leaves her bed unless we tell her. So no issues with her on seats or anywhere.
The thought of sticking her in a cage makes me cringe. She's well against the back seat and cupboards so the furthest she could go would be about two feet sideways or back a bit.
No issues with her in the boot of our estate car, no issues with her in her bed on the floor of the van.
When away in the UK we stick her in a pop up tent; she only leaves it if asked to, never barks at anyone. She won't even touch meat we've bought left next to her (oops...).

Easy life.

When travelling through France, some dogs have to be caged and when in public muzzled and on a leash by law,and if you don't your dog can be destroyed!, also certain breeds aren't allowed to even travel through France! Oh and you need the pet passport etc, and insurance (you need to keep their documents with you). that's for our Rotweiler anyway.....

When travelling through France, some dogs have to be caged and when in public muzzled and on a leash by law,and if you don't your dog can be destroyed!, also certain breeds aren't allowed to even travel through France! that's for our Rotweiler anyway..... Oh and you need the pet passport etc, and insurance (you need to keep their documents with you).
That's why ours stays with friends if we go abroad.

Some debate about having to inform the Marie/Gendarme in France as well, and even posting a sign up where you are staying... If any doubts, check it out with Marie's office or tourist office, but DO check... Certain dog breeds are taken VERY seriously over there, unlike here, and if you don't, you could land up loosing your best friend.. And have no recourse! Another thing is they must be chipped as well as part of the passport, and you have to travel by a recognised carrier (ferry operator etc), and these form part of your travel documents! Don't bin them once you have arrived in France!

From the RSPCA Companion Animals Pet Care Factsheet CAD/04.02.14

Transporting dogs in cars

Under The Welfare of Animals (Transport) (England) Order 2006, and The
Welfare of Animals (Transport) (Wales) Order 2007, you must not transport an
animal in a way that causes, or is likely to cause, injury or unnecessary suffering to
that animal.

It is also important that a dog is suitably restrained in a vehicle so that it doesn’t
distract the driver or injure them if the vehicle stops quickly (UK Highway Code rule 57).
The RSPCA therefore recommends that dogs are both secure and comfortable
during transport.

There are a number of different ways in which you can restrain your dog
comfortably during transport. Travelling crates and containers are popular. When
transporting your dog in a crate or container, you should ensure that it has
enough room to sit and stand up at full height, turn around easily and lie down in a
natural position. You should also ensure that your dog is able to see out of the
container and that there is enough ventilation and airflow. Suitable bedding
should be placed on the floor to prevent the dog from slipping around during the
journey.

You could also consider a car harness that secures your dog by linking in with the
seat belt system. To ensure comfort and security, you should make sure that you
measure your dog correctly and buy a harness of the right size. Always follow the
instructions and ensure that you fit the harness correctly.

From the RSPCA Companion Animals Pet Care Factsheet CAD/04.02.14

Transporting dogs in cars

Under The Welfare of Animals (Transport) (England) Order 2006, and The
Welfare of Animals (Transport) (Wales) Order 2007, you must not transport an
animal in a way that causes, or is likely to cause, injury or unnecessary suffering to
that animal.

It is also important that a dog is suitably restrained in a vehicle so that it doesn’t
distract the driver or injure them if the vehicle stops quickly (UK Highway Code rule 57).
The RSPCA therefore recommends that dogs are both secure and comfortable
during transport.

There are a number of different ways in which you can restrain your dog
comfortably during transport. Travelling crates and containers are popular. When
transporting your dog in a crate or container, you should ensure that it has
enough room to sit and stand up at full height, turn around easily and lie down in a
natural position. You should also ensure that your dog is able to see out of the
container and that there is enough ventilation and airflow. Suitable bedding
should be placed on the floor to prevent the dog from slipping around during the
journey.

You could also consider a car harness that secures your dog by linking in with the
seat belt system. To ensure comfort and security, you should make sure that you
measure your dog correctly and buy a harness of the right size. Always follow the
instructions and ensure that you fit the harness correctly.
Have to agree with the safety of flying objects when in a car. Went to a head on car v's 4x4, the dog and it's metal crate had been on the back seat and the impact had thrown it into the dash where it then wedged in the front passenger footwell. Had to cut the crate out of the car, and then the dog out of the crate as it had deformed all around it. If you have a crate, it is definitely a good idea to have it secured in some way. In the same way as an unsecured person will cause people up front a lot of damage, so will an animal.
Ultimately however it is up to you as to how you transport your pet, wouldn't suggest otherwise.

Have to agree with the safety of flying objects when in a car. Went to a head on car v's 4x4, the dog and it's metal crate had been on the back seat and the impact had thrown it into the dash where it then wedged in the front passenger footwell. Had to cut the crate out of the car, and then the dog out of the crate as it had deformed all around it. If you have a crate, it is definitely a good idea to have it secured in some way. In the same way as an unsecured person will cause people up front a lot of damage, so will an animal.
Ultimately however it is up to you as to how you transport your pet, wouldn't suggest otherwise.
I have to say that if using a cage in Kombi then it is a good idea to use the load-lashing points to secure the cage and your precious friend(s).:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Some debate about having to inform the Marie/Gendarme in France as well, and even posting a sign up where you are staying... If any doubts, check it out with Marie's office or tourist office, but DO check... Certain dog breeds are taken VERY seriously over there, unlike here, and if you don't, you could land up loosing your best friend.. And have no recourse! Another thing is they must be chipped as well as part of the passport, and you have to travel by a recognised carrier (ferry operator etc), and these form part of your travel documents! Don't bin them once you have arrived in France!
Blimey; I didn't know they were so strict!!

@Polzeylad, they surely are, and don't forget there is the vet's injection in France that is required within 48 hours in advance of landing back in UK too. I can confirm what @T6 Dave has stated as I went to the Gendarmerie to ensure their Rottie was not a banned breed in France as they have very strict laws concerning "Dangerous" dogs. I believe advice is on the French Embassy website. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back