Dog / Luggage guard for Caravelle

Note to all going to France with their pooch, if it bites ANYONE, it WILL be removed, and put to sleep! You owe it to your best friend to protect them from themselves! It does not matter the breed in this instance, and the Gendarme are automatically involved, and there is NO leeway in the matter, even if it's you they bite! Happened to a good mate, and no it's not a "shaggy dog story!"

Well pity they don't take the same attitud here dog should not be nightingale other people and too many get hurt or killed here.

Over there, you have to have training and licence and assessment to own certain breeds, and they have to have their "personalities" assessed...

Thanks for all your input and it looks like i will get something custom made. @YellowHound can you remeber how long it took to get one made from hamster baskets?

Off to do some measuring...

Thanks all!

Just to update this thread. I got a custom large cage from Hamster Baskets and I recommend them highly. Had a few conversations with them and fag packet drawings before ordering. I have added some plastic myself, and they now both travel in style and safety.

Bought some rubber lining and some rail T Bolts so it's fixed but removes easily.

Here is a pic...

IMG_3255.JPG

When travelling through France, some dogs have to be caged and when in public muzzled and on a leash by law,and if you don't your dog can be destroyed!, also certain breeds aren't allowed to even travel through France! Oh and you need the pet passport etc, and insurance (you need to keep their documents with you). that's for our Rotweiler anyway.....
I’m a new member and came across your post from last year. I’d heard about issues travelling with dogs through France but then I’ve heard it’s very dog friendly! . To be honest I’ve not researched it properly but wondered (as you have experience) if you could point me to a reliable website / source of info?

I’m a new member and came across your post from last year. I’d heard about issues travelling with dogs through France but then I’ve heard it’s very dog friendly! . To be honest I’ve not researched it properly but wondered (as you have experience) if you could point me to a reliable website / source of info?
Hi Karren, sorry it's taken a while to post a reply, my advice is to contact the local tourist office or Marie of the area you are staying, or if you are booking accommodation or campsite contact them in advance and tell them your breed.. I have posted a link to some old info, but as far as I remember it still applies to when I took my Class2 Rottweiler over.. I used varying websites inc the French embassy..

Please note that although it is friendly towards pets, it's not in the instance of these animals, as they are considered as guard animals, and therefore people are naturally wary.. Ultimately, I'm afraid that you must do your own due diligence for your best friend if they fall into any of these breeds/categories..

But please note, if your animal bites anyone, including you, no matter the breed or class.. You will in all likelihood have it removed and destroyed.. You need to look out for them, and protect them from themselves whilst on holiday, a visit to a&e with a dog bite results in the involvement of the authorities. the laws tough on dogs over in Europe.. Please also take note of the insurance requirements as well..

Taking Cats, Dogs and Other Pets to France

Best of luck..

Back