DIY Curtains/Blinds - Which Fabric and Magnets?

Toad

Not a conversion
T6 Pro
You know I never thought I'd find myself on an Internet forum asking about curtain material, but here we go.

We're making curtains for the van and have made some basic templates. They're going to be held on with magnets which we've also tested.

But what material have people used to provide water resistance against condensation, and what as a wadding material to provide insulation?

IMG_20181030_173924.jpg

I just bought cheap ready-made ones, removed the suckers and attached magnets, then covered one side with matt black cloth so I can have the shiny side out or the black side out depending on what I’m trying to achieve.

We didn't go for individual window curtains for the cab area. We put a curtain divider behind the seats. If we do get any condensation then it's not touching any material.
I watch some vans taking so long to attach them,then remove them, then wipe off etc etc. Such a faff.

We didn't go for individual window curtains for the cab area. We put a curtain divider behind the seats. If we do get any condensation then it's not touching any material.
I watch some vans taking so long to attach them,then remove them, then wipe off etc etc. Such a faff.

We're putting in swivel seats, and want to be able to get out of bed and sit in the seats without scaring passers by!

This is why I fitted concertina blinds in the A pillars and use magnetic blinds in the cab side windows, closing off or getting going takes seconds.

This is why I fitted concertina blinds in the A pillars and use magnetic blinds in the cab side windows, closing off or getting going takes seconds.

Which concertina blinds did you fit?

Fabric recommendations is something I’m surprised to be asking on a motor vehicle forum but here goes.

I want to DIY make some magnetic curtains for occasional summer use, perhaps 3 or 4 times a year. Searching the archives found the GallantUK video for the windscreen and front door blinds. The door version is what I’m aiming for but for the 6 rear windows.

Can anyone recommend a fabric thats slightly stretchy and blocks daylight?

Also, what size magnets to go for - some 10mm rare earth magnets had a 1.75kg pull rating which seemed a bit high considering there would be 8 ish per curtain - they may never come off!

Any advice on curtain making greatly appreciated - I have a basic Ikea sewing machine and am chief Scout badge sewer!

Plan is to make a cardboard template, machine sew a hem then poke the magnets around the hem and hand sew pockets in the hem to retain them.

Regards
Ian

Ikea, blackout curtains. £29 (?) for far more material than you’ll ever need. Different colours available too
Not really stretchy though.
E63472AB-4C66-4231-B82C-C6BAD59EC8F6.jpeg

I’m making up a cab curtain for my Crafter with it.

There seems to be an issue that the bulk of the panel with the blind behind it means it sticks out more, and the top I think is designed to sit in the headlining in a different way to accommodate this.

This means that even if trimmed it would still stick out.

***I think........
How did you get on with these, @Toad?

That’s a shame to hear.

Did you make your own curtains up in the end?
I ask as I’m looking to make up some curtains for the van, so was looking at threads to see what people have used.

That’s a shame to hear.

Did you make your own curtains up in the end?
I ask as I’m looking to make up some curtains for the van, so was looking at threads to see what people have used.
Yes, I'll take some pictures later to show what I've done.

I'm quite pleased with the results.

I’m about to attempt to make a blind for this rear quarter window. It’s probably not a standard size as it’s got the TrimTech trim panel surrounding it (aperture measures 790mm x 495mm / 3ft x 2ft / 31” x 19”). Unless anyone can see another way, I guess I'm going to have to attach it to the window with suckers?

FAF594FE-D311-4C21-84D5-1AFAEE996E05.jpeg

I made a set of blackout screens using silver bubblewrap insulation and a pack of suckers. Look and work ok and cost about £40.

Back