DIY ambient lighting

I do similar, but a lower level:
16079438407733576919492823135192.jpg
Even so, I shorted this pack the other day as the fly leads fell onto each other. I smelt burning and starting freaking out about what I had just wired in the van but then found it was this pack sitting on the van floor. It melted the plastic where one of the springs goes through the case, so even AA batteries can get hot when shorted :oops:

Safer to use the continuity setting on a multimeter if you suspect a straight short circuit

Hi all found the problem. It was a dodgy led ceiling bulb that was causing the fuse to blow. Nothing to do with the pocket lights. All good now. Thanks for the pointers. Cheers

That's great, Thanks @Keeff

Has anyone installed an inline fuse for this circuit in the coor card? Presume it is protected by the fuse for the existing ambient light circuit?

I do similar, but a lower level:
View attachment 94952
Even so, I shorted this pack the other day as the fly leads fell onto each other. I smelt burning and starting freaking out about what I had just wired in the van but then found it was this pack sitting on the van floor. It melted the plastic where one of the springs goes through the case, so even AA batteries can get hot when shorted :oops:

Safer to use the continuity setting on a multimeter if you suspect a straight short circuit

Thanks @Andysmee does this effectively connect the batteries in series so gives 15V?

Thanks.

I already had a feed from the footwell lights in the area as I had fitted the passat light cluster with the red ambient lights.

I already had an ambient light feed in the roof for the Passat light so used that. The whole unit comes out if you need it to, not easily mind!

I’m with @mopardave this is getting silly now. How can us mere mortals keep up with this level of coolness without idiot guides. Deaky master classes required with Beer payment :thumbsup:

I confess I have a light fetish (ask the family) and this isn’t helping my condition :cry:
ha ha, im with you on this - when I was learning I was always stressing about not knowing stuff. I've got a couple of general accessory and switch wiring diagrams on my site if they are ever helpful in other applications - very basic, but easy to follow.

12v Switch/Accessory panel wiring diagram | Momma Bears

Got bored today so while I’m waiting for my genuine ‘velle doorcards I had a go myself. They look pretty good. They’ll be up for sale shortly :thumbsup:

View attachment 16548
Hi Deaky,

I like your ambient light very much.

also I want to install it in my transporter.
Some questions.

did you place the led onthe ceiling of each pocket?

and how did you drill the holes? Cause there is not a lot of space!?

thanks

I currently have some RGB LED strips in the rear of my van mounted above the back seat, I currently use them on RED dimmed right down as ambient lighting so I can still see the kids / baby in the rear when driving at night they work a treat. They are just cheap ones stuck to the ceiling so don't look the neatest.

I'm looking to upgrade to a halo and use it for the same function. My question is that does the halo work like this? can it be dimmed low enough to provide ambient light or is it too much to have on whilst driving? my thoughts were that as the LED's in the halo light up the ceiling rather than point right down it might be too much light to drive with?

Thanks!

Back