Discover Media - Turn Off / On And Control Via Phone?

18T6

T6 Pro
hi,

I asked a rather confusing question in another post.

But... say we are sleeping / hanging out in the roof bed, is it possible to turn on the headunit, select source, playlists, adjust volume, and then turn off via a smart phone app?

If so what is needed as there seems to be several options non of which are very clear.

Also, if I wanted in-van Wi-fi I believe I need a VW car stick, but I don’t want this sticking out of the dash - it’ll get snapped off - is there another port somewhere. Or am I better just getting an independent mobile Wi-fi gizmo (or does car stick add some feature the the headunit too?).

Thanks

Matt

You need media control added as an option to control your head unit from an app on your phone, it works well and can also stop your head unit automatically turning off after 20 minutes too.

VW carstick is just a WiFi dongle, it doesn’t add anything to the head unit. I use an EE mini WiFi hidden away in the glove box.

You need media control added as an option to control your head unit from an app on your phone, it works well and can also stop your head unit automatically turning off after 20 minutes too.

VW carstick is just a WiFi dongle, it doesn’t add anything to the head unit. I use an EE mini WiFi hidden away in the glove box.

Perfect thanks - do you know how much media control is? Can it only be installed / bought from VW ?

I’ve just downloaded the iOS app again, and this time spotted offline mode - might give it a try and see if it’s already a goer, as I think I assumed both devices needed to be on same Wi-fi, and then got all confused with car-net.

VOLKSWAGEN MEDIA CONTROL.

downloads_apps_Teaser.jpg
Volkswagen Media Control makes it possible to provide the desired entertainment from every seat. The free app connects via WLAN with the infotainment system of the vehicle. Via a mobile device, music programs can be selected very comfortably, for example, or navigation destinations transmitted - even from the back seats.

Download now:

Apple App StoreGoogle Play Store

Last edited:
it says APP is not compatible with any of my devices (android - 3phones 2tablets) whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat !

RE WIFI in the van . . . . . .

Take Look at the various mobile solutions.

We use an Huawei wifi 2g/3g/4g dongle £60 and a data sim card, currently an EE one that cost pay as you go. £18 for 6gb that will last up To 3months.

We are currently looking for a cheaper deal for a PAYG sim card that will last for 12months........ any ideas anyone.

EDIT: we now have a THREE.CO.UK PAYG card 12GB for £30 that lasts for 12mnths. (or 24GB £42)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobi...548408652&sr=8-2&keywords=three+data+sim+payg

Look at this example I got my dad....

Huawei Unlocked E8372 4G/LTE Wi-Fi Dongle with a 6 GB EE Sim Card - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015CM2S6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_cwrweGhx2AjPZ (USB powered via the van)

Capture1.JPG

we Now also have one of these, which is totaly self contained and has an internal battery for taking out and about with us.

MIFI . . . . https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobi...548408652&sr=8-2&keywords=three+data+sim+payg

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
RE WIFI in the van . . . . . .

Take Look at the various mobile solutions.

We use an Huawei wifi 2g/3g/4g dongle £60 and a data sim card, currently an EE one that cost pay as you go. £18 for 6gb that will last up To 3months.

We are currently looking for a cheaper deal for a PAYG sim card that will last for 12months........ any ideas anyone.

EDIT: we now have a THREE.CO.UK PAYG card 12GB for £30 that lasts for 12mnths. (or 24GB £42)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobi...548408652&sr=8-2&keywords=three+data+sim+payg

Look at this example I got my dad....

Huawei Unlocked E8372 4G/LTE Wi-Fi Dongle with a 6 GB EE Sim Card - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015CM2S6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_cwrweGhx2AjPZ (USB powered via the van)

View attachment 35805

we Now also have one of these, which is totaly self contained and has an internal battery for taking out and about with us.

MIFI . . . . https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobi...548408652&sr=8-2&keywords=three+data+sim+payg

View attachment 35804

So do you just use this for things that don’t have mobile data? Ie iPad Wi-fi etc or are there features the headunit can do when it’s got online??

Yep just that. (but also you need it/wifi for the MEDIA CONTROL to connect to your smart phone, i wont work on my phone, but @Deaky has it sussed)

WIFI for the kids and tablets etc. . . . . WIFI/internet for the headunit and satnav. (updates, online address search, POI, CARNET. MEDIA CONTROL etc etc)

we have a USB block powered from an ignition source and one on a 24/7 source, so normally the WIFI stick is on the ignition supply so its only live when the van is running ie, mon-fri work mode.

then we move the stick to a 24/7 supply when camping etc . . . .

12v Aux Feed + 5xusb Charging From Aux Battery - Today's Install

12v Igntn Feed + 5xusb Charging From Ign Feed - Today's Install

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

2C8A69DD-CA2A-4160-9441-4FF759E13FF7.png

Got ya.

Here’s where I’m at, when I use a personal hotspot on my phone and connect the headunit to it, then try to use media control I get this message. But what isn’t clear is how much it’ll cost me to get VW to enable (it’s such a confusing thing that I’m not sure the dealer will even know the right thing, assuming they are my partner !?)

It's a dealer option, they need to enable it i believe.

Call your local van center and ask them how much.

Yes that’s correct. It’s an option I ticked at the time of ordering.

Enable media control £250! If I’m not mistaken it’s open source software so to charge that to “open the door” is just extortionate. There must be a crack.

Enable media control £250! If I’m not mistaken it’s open source software so to charge that to “open the door” is just extortionate. There must be a crack.
If you suss it out, let us know.

If not then you have to pay up...

I wonder if it's still £250 if you order it as part of the original build?

I’ve asked VW if they’ll do it out of courtesy after complete abismal customer care when our van was cutting out - lost a more than £250 in hours on the phone.

I’ll try some charm first and see if they would like to put their customer care back in my good books after a nightmare when we bought the van with a cutting out issue!!!

From memory it was about £180 for app connect and media control.

From memory it was about £180 for app connect and media control.

Still very pricey compared so say affinity photo which can do a lot for £50. Still they can charge what they want if demand is there...

Back