VW Sat Nav Map Update Failure

Jayc

T6 Pro
Hi all, just updated my sat nav. Had to format sd card to gain space. Message now saying insert a medium with a valid software. Any ideas?

Formatting was probably your mistake, the card has to have the correct file system type which can change when you format
Not sure what it’s supposed to be but I’m sure someone will let you know soon, I would check that first as if it’s incorrect the headunit won’t be able to read/understand the card

If that’s correct then check the folder layout on the card is same as it was before, this depends how you updated it

I thought that might be the case..not enough storage on sd card to update. Im sure last update downloaded direct to sd card? Downloaded from vw site..

I've had a 'discussion' with VW about the poor update service of the sat nav maps. Germany say that the maps are updated twice a year but when challenged about the January 2018 date on the current offering on the website they passed the book to VW UK. VW UK now say that the next update should be available in the summer of 2019!

My initial query / concern was that the maps had not been updated for the French national speed limit change. Now I guess the same will apply to the Spanish changes.

To me that is a disgusting service for a product that costs so much!

I've had a 'discussion' with VW about the poor update service of the sat nav maps. Germany say that the maps are updated twice a year but when challenged about the January 2018 date on the current offering on the website they passed the book to VW UK. VW UK now say that the next update should be available in the summer of 2019!

My initial query / concern was that the maps had not been updated for the French national speed limit change. Now I guess the same will apply to the Spanish changes.

To me that is a disgusting service for a product that costs so much!

I’m not sure if the dates have been input incorrectly on the U.K. site because if you go to the German site the maps are dated October 2018

B35BC41E-A40D-4661-B903-CD254954A87B.jpeg

Thanks for all your advice guys..Im downloading the software/mapping at work..I think my laptop is messing with the file transfer..if it dosent work I'll get another preinstalled card from vw

Hi

Trying to update the maps on the official vw sd card but after waiting hours for the download, 14gb which I can normal download in a few minutes .. I had an error message not enough space on the card!

Anyone else with similar or known problems? Whole map of Europe BTW.

Edit..

The updater now says no Official vw card!!

Last edited:
Hi

Trying to update the maps on the official vw sd card but after waiting hours for the download, 14gb which I can normal download in a few minutes .. I had an error message not enough space on the card!

Anyone else with similar or known problems? Whole map of Europe BTW.

Edit..

The updater now says no Official vw card!!
Did you format the card before updating? You need to.

Did you format the card before updating? You need to.

I have tried both options, letting the discover programme do everything and also downloading the map on its own and then extracting to the card after formatting.

If I format and then check validity of the card in the discover program it says no vw card installed.

If I self install the maps to the card and check in the discover program it also says no vw card installed.

If I put the original backup on its fine and recognised as a vw card.

I'm pretty computer literate so bit confused

I have tried both options, letting the discover programme do everything and also downloading the map on its own and then extracting to the card after formatting.

If I format and then check validity of the card in the discover program it says no vw card installed.

If I self install the maps to the card and check in the discover program it also says no vw card installed.

If I put the original backup on its fine and recognised as a vw card.

I'm pretty computer literate so bit confused
Hmm! I've never been able to get the Discover update utility to work & have done it "Old Skool" i.e.
Format the card
download the complete Europe mapset as a Zip file
Unzip the download using the 7zip(?) utility directly to the card
voila

I wonder if the download is corrupt, is there an update out now? If so I'll give it a try.

No. Idea if there is an update, just found the card has never been Updated.

Edit: it works!!! I. Used the download from the discover programme and winzip to extract to The card. Using the download and the recommended programme failed for me.

Last edited:
That discover update program really is a load of rubbish, I can never get it to work so I also do it the ‘old fashioned’ way. Had a quick look at the maps and it is still the same old ones from last year - not sure when new ones are out.

That discover update program really is a load of rubbish, I can never get it to work so I also do it the ‘old fashioned’ way. Had a quick look at the maps and it is still the same old ones from last year - not sure when new ones are out.
I think the updates are around May & November
No. Idea if there is an update, just found the card has never been Updated.

Edit: it works!!! I. Used the download from the discover programme and winzip to extract to The card. Using the download and the recommended programme failed for me.
result!

Interestingly the discover programme won't recognise a formatted blank vw sd card..

Must be a software code in addition to the supposed magical code in the sdcard

Back