Disconnecting Battery - Impact On Immobiliser

Whiz

Meet BANKSY - There is always "Hope"
T6 Guru
No abuse please.

Want to lock van, then disconnect battery as away for month.

Is the immobiliser still operating when battery disconnected?

I assume it will remain locked at least.

I don't want to leave it on trickle charge.

Appreciate your replies in advance. Thanks.Bluey.

The immobiliser will be okay but component protection on the radio will kick in.

The immobiliser will be okay but component protection on the radio will kick in.
Thank you. Could you expand on the impact on the component protection the radio etc?

Thanks

What @Loz said.

But just to clarify, the immobiliser is electronic ...... so with the battery disconnected, nothing will work, alarm and immobiliser included.

But it should all come back to life when you reconnect the battery.

Not so sure the radio has codes anymore? I thought CP Component Protection replaced the codes etc. Its much more secure system.

What @Loz said.

But just to clarify, the immobiliser is electronic ...... so with the battery disconnected, nothing will work, alarm and immobiliser included.

But it should all come back to life when you reconnect the battery.

Not so sure the radio has codes anymore? I thought CP Component Protection replaced the codes etc. Its much more secure system.

@Dellmassive Wow - you really have done a lot - I am way back in nappies!!!
Thank you soo much. Could you just tell me which of you "How to ..." I need to look at please.

Thanks again. Paul

We just asked same question to VW. They told us to disconnect the battery before we lock the van. Then lock with the key. If you lock them disconnect the alarm will go off. We done this and reconnected and all’s been ok. No code for radio.

Be cautious with that as the deadlocks wont be enabled.

Plus how did you lock the rear doors with a key?

Either way, my take on it is. (Untested by myself)

Open bonnet.

Lock van with remote allowing the deadlocks to be set.

Remove neg from battery.

Close bonnet.

Now I've got the extra battery backup siren on mine . . . . And I've had the starter battery disconnected many times and it's never gone off..... my understanding was that if triggered it would be battery backed up...... so disconnecting the starter battery shouldn't be a problem.

Open bonnet.

Remove neg from battery.

Close bonnet.

Now I've got the extra battery backup siren on mine . . . . And I've had the starter battery disconnected many times and it's never gone off..... my understanding was that if triggered it would be battery backed up...... so disconnecting the starter battery shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for this and the full explanation.

I think I will test over weekend.

My battery is 4 years old & has always been poor on retaining a charge over a week or 2. Thank you Paul.

Open bonnet.

Remove neg from battery.

Close bonnet.

When doing this, will the key open the drivers door, so you can open the bonnet to reconnect the battery?

Yes, with the mechanical key in the lock.

Thats why they give one keylock, if the battery went totally flat you can still getin and pop the bonnet.

They cant rely fully on an electronic system, so we get a mechanical lock on the drivers door.

Back