Disabling boot light

Broadside

T6 LWB Shuttle 150ps manual MY17
VIP Member
T6 Guru
On my T6 Shuttle there is a load compartment light which does not have a manual override, it comes on when the tailgate is open and then times out after about 20 mins.

When camping I switch off the interior lights at the main switch above the rear view mirror, but there is one light that is not connected through that switch - the one in the boot!

Does anyone know of a way to control this light, can I pull a fuse? I am thinking of installing a small switch nearby to it so I can easily disable it when the boot will be open for long periods.

I don’t have a leisure battery setup (yet) so I want to maximise starter battery voltage so i can run my compressor fridge for the max amount of time. It’s only a 12v 10w bulb in that light but as I don’t want it on when camping anyway I would like a way of turning it off without having to pop the connector out of the light each time.

I had thought about putting an LED bulb in there but a bit concerned about the heat generated by an LED when there is no ventilation behind the light unit.

1A8E992F-376A-430A-9287-CA5A482D9FD3.jpeg

Yes it's a pain. I use a rear awning so boot is open, it's the only light I cant turn off.
Was thinking of solutions on my last camping trip until a found the Gin :geek:

Good idea. Did you take any pics of the wiring you needed to tap into ?

It is very simple, I just cut in to one of the wires a few cm back from the light unit and then ran a new wire to the switch.

I pilot drilled from the back of the blanking plate to get the centre point and then used a 20mm still bit from the front to do the main hole cut out and then the switch just snaps in to place. It is a simple little job.
6467CAB1-605E-4D55-986B-03A5F22839D4.jpeg

A16BA4C2-4371-4C9B-A489-834D1D6E4110.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks mate, looks simple enough, those snap on switches are handy.

What are the red things you've used to join the cables?
Just standard hand crimp tool butt connectors. I used similar spade terminals on the back of the switch as well.

This is a great tip thanks. Just done the same on my T6 - only advice from the pic above is not to fix switch wire quite as close to light connector - just in case you screw up the butt connector and have to redo.

Great posts thanks , yes I did fit an led lamp, but still annoying not having a switch.
Can someone lead to to a link for the switch please?

Back