Diminished Value Claim

MrTesco

T6 Pro
Morning,

Just looking for peoples views / knowledge about Diminished Value Claims after my Shuttle got hit my a 3rd party.

Technical now the bus has been subject to a insurance claim it could potentially affect the resale value. As it will show on a vehicle check and I have a duty to declare any damage to any potential buyer. I have no idea how much if at all this could affect any resale in the future, the damage is only minor in that it's going to have a complete new door but still not original.

Is this something anyone has or would claim for or not worth the trouble?

it is a like for like replacement and as its minor damage then you would get nothing as you could argue that its actually in a better state due to having new parts.

If your van was a CAT D write off then yes you could make a claim as you have to declare that when selling which would then result in a lower value however for all other damage then its down to morals and not duty if you want to advise buyer.

Last edited:
That's fair enough just wasn't too sure if it was worth looking into, this being my first new motor just making sure I cover everything. I've always been honest about any damage / mechanical issues in past so no questions there , been had over myself before. Cheers for replying

I totally agree for major damage and mechanical issues, you would be a shark if you didnt mention these.

Minor damage fixed to a standard equal to original condition to me is not worth mentioning unless asked. In the long run it will only cost you money as they will use it against you.

If the van has been repaired by a recommended vw accredited body shop you should have no problems as they will measure the paint thickness and match.
And won't show up on the vcar register as it isn't a write off so won't affect the vehicle resale value.
Write off vehicles on vcar register are cat C & cat D cat c use to be printed on the v5 but cat d didn't

Back