4Mo: with or without Diff Lock?

Sturge

IT Support
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi

Another question.... Almost ready to push the button today on a T32 204 DSG 4motion today, but realised it doesnt have the diff lock option on it.

My motoring is predominantly road, but want 4motion for the potential snowy conditions in the alps and also if we get bad conditions over here. Also I occasionally tow heavy trailer across muddy fields, along with getting out of muddy situations.

I'm coming from a Discovery, and think I want the diff lock to give the most ability from the vehicle (appreciate it is not a discovery).

Is it worth having the diff lock?

Thanks

Paul

Its a £400 quid option if I remember, I've had difflocks on may vehicles but hardly ever used it. One issue is the lack or steering on slippery surfaces when its engaged and better more capable tyres have always been more useful.

Tyres will trump the difflock, but tyres and difflock together will be unstoppable. Presumably you are looking at a vehicle that is already built? Unless they are giving you a 20% discount, then don't bother with it. An extra 400 quid is nothing on that vehicle which is over 40k. Somebody has spec'd a pudding by missing out the difflock.
If you buy it you will forever regret not having the difflock.

Didn't use it once on our last Cali (except to test it had one; then it wouldn't disengage) so not got it on this one.

Got better tyres on this one though.
They are surprisingly capable on mud.

So I diagree hooting owl and I have done tonnes of off roading in Calis, Defenders, Jimnys, all sorts. Just more unnecessary weight unless you live somewhere genuinely snowy.

I've got it and used several times, last time the old man & I drove down on to our bottom meadow / marsh. He got his Isuzu D Maxx well and truly stuck (semi aggressive road biased tyre) My T6 with Diff lock dragged him out no issues.

For a small price you won't have any regrets getting the diff lock, it should be a standard item in my view.

Tyres do make a big difference, but the Diff lock option sets it apart.

Interesting; we had a "fully loaded" Cali 4motion for three years and learned what is needed and what isn't.
Spending £900 on something we never used seems slightly pointless.

But I guess it's another thing like LED lights that some will claim is essential. If you are going to try green laning in a T6 I suggest raising it and adding significant underbody protection; a 4motion will get you further off road than FWD but you are still in something heavy, no that high and with pretty low approach and (especially) departure angles.

However the one thing that might do it is the muddy towing you mention. We don't do towing so not relevant but it puts a lot more load onto the rear axles and 4motion is 90/10% front/rear to a maximum of 50/50; Haldex 4wd is very good but not the most hardcore form of 4wd; it's more road biased.

Last edited:
However the one thing that might do it is the muddy towing you mention. We don't do towing so not relevant but it puts a lot more load onto the rear axles and 4motion is 90/10% front/rear to a maximum of 50/50; Haldex 4wd is very good but not the most hardcore form of 4wd; it's more road biased.

You say this but some of the best and most capable 4x4's I've driven have been 4motion / Quatro with he way they can use the ABS individually per wheel upon slippage it really gives it a edge.

You say this but some of the best and most capable 4x4's I've driven have been 4motion / Quatro with he way they can use the ABS individually per wheel upon slippage it really gives it a edge.

Quattro covers both Haldex and Torsen 4wd depending on what it's used for; it's just an Audi brand.
I'm struggling to think of a single VAG group product that's properly capable off road; yes a Touraeg can do quite well if modded, a Q7 is just too heavy with road biased wheels and tyres so..what have you taken green laning with a VAG brand badge?

This is our third 4motion vehicle (Golf R32, Two Cali 4motions) but we've also had/have Torsen/similar 4wds; there is no comparison when really pushing it.

Even our humble Subaru kicks pretty much all of them into touch off road; I can confidently keep up with the Coastguard trucks (Defender and HiLux) on shouts to all sorts of awkward RV points. It has no diff lock...

Not so much green laning more tugging things that get stuck or are in the way around the yard. Mightiest achievement was tugging a 12 yard skip full of hardcore that was blocking a customers gate out the way with a Superb 4x4. It just squatted down dug in and let all the wheels pull a little and then apply each wheels break as it started to slip.

Out of all the pickups and 4x4's we've had( Rangers, Hiulux, Troopers, 4Tracks, D Maxx) with the exception of the Defender the Halidex kit has always preformed admirably only limited by ground clearance. I've never had a fast Haladex so can't really comment on that side of things.

Thanks all. If I'm spending this much on a new 'in the build pipeline' van, I'd rather pay e same money on a factory order and wait a bit and get the option. Whilst I don't bother doing green landing for fun any more, I did it when I first had a disco 3 10 years back, but must admit I find it a bit hard to justify doing it anymore. My discovery 4 I have now is a luxury car / van / bike transporter / driving in the alps vehicle / and a all round do it all car. I have driven it over a 1000 miles in a day a few weeks back on the way back from working in Marbella for a few days, so it really has to earn its keep. The kombi van needs to do the same, and keep me moving if we get some heavy snow etc.

I think to have all the weapons available to fight the battle is worth having, for the sake of £400, I will do it. Thanks for the input, all interesting stuff. Now to find the right vehicle!!

Most capable 4wd (off road) we've had? Suzuki Jimny. Absolutely unstoppable off road, more so than our 110 Defender.

No diff lock.

Just light, good clearance, decent 4wd. That's all you need.

Oh and cheapness helps. A £100k RR is good off-road (when not specced with muppet 22s); how many would green lane one?

if we are talking ultimate 4x4 then, yes, lightness and a suzuki wins. You only have to go to a 'pay and play' site to see the suzuki's everywhere. Although I did get interesting looks when I rolled up in my six month old Discovery and was in amongst them all. Have to say I only did it once though - not really my scene. Have done salisbury plain a few times though.

However, we are talking about a VW Kombi here.... and not pay and play, just real world situations where it is possible to get stuck and does the diff help, not situations where I am looking for trouble.

Well it never helped us in three years and 23k miles in our last Cali; we didn't tow and maybe I was just realistic in what it could do but it took us a long way off road all over Europe and we have stayed in places no FWD van could access. Just didn't need diff lock.

update on this. Hired a 4motion manual from BognorMotors last week to go to the Alps. Great fun, lowered van, big wheels, great family transport. Parked underneath the Apartment, which has a very tight 90 degree entrance which also drops down at the same time - Sort of like a corkscrew - which being lowered was all a bit tight. Went out in the rain and then reparked under the apartment. When leaving, loaded up with 4 of us plus luggage and bikes, you have to go half up the steep slope and stop while the garage door opens, and you are about 45 degrees round a bend that you have to position the van 'just so' so that you get round on one lock without clipping walls / kerbs, combined with climbing about 6 - 8ft. Really quite evil. Could not get traction as one wheel was spinning, and the van couldn't sort it out. Due to the angle etc you have to give it some revs to avoid stalling. All a bit horrid.

Point is, tried again, engaged Diff Lock, and it managed to find the traction to get me out before the door came back down...

So diff lock is going on the option tick list!!

and to follow up on the suzuki comments above, there was a round of a 4x4 competition almost opposite the apartment in Les Gets full of Suzuki's - absolute bonkers little things. Did wonder about taking the Kombi over, but sure this wasn't covered in the insurance collision damage waver....

Hi Sturg, I’ve ordered my 204 DSG 4Motion but still have a week to alter my options. Diff lock is on the list but I was considering if I actually need it. Do you find you use it all, or is the 4Motion alone enough?

I have not got it on mine, having driven on muddy fields towing a caravan and done a lot of driving in the snow I had no issues at all BUT I miss seeing the button and the feeling of security it would have given me if I had it. I don't think you will need it but it can not be retro fitted and I wish I had ordered it when I had the chance!

I have not got it on mine, having driven on muddy fields towing a caravan and done a lot of driving in the snow I had no issues at all BUT I miss seeing the button and the feeling of security it would have given me if I had it. I don't think you will need it but it can not be retro fitted and I wish I had ordered it when I had the chance!
I think it’s the security thing, I’ve been stuck so many times in my sprinter it’s unbelievable. I’m going to get it just for the peace of mind.

Back