Diesel/oil leak nearside towards rear - any ideas?

Graeme_B

VIP Member
T6 Guru
PXL_20220717_202620241.jpgPXL_20220717_202637608.jpgPXL_20220717_202645721.jpgPXL_20220717_204353543.jpg
So took the dog out tonight and noticed a leak under the van on nearside.

Initial thought was oil leak, I've had a light on for past few days but no leak and it was due a top up. After checking again I think it may be diesel. Either way I'm due to drive to Italy in 3 weeks time, if I get my passport but that's another story, so its not ideal.

I've got carista and no errors coming up that could point me in the right direction.

Anybody had similar issue or have any idea of what the fault might be?

I'll add vw to the list next to passport office to phone tomorrow. Could do with a bit of luck this week!

jeez . . does it smell like diesel?

can you get it up on ramps?

or jack and stands?

the leak may be else where and running to the lowest point. ( you will need to remove the lower plastics to see better)

doesnt look like Adblue,

possible derv,

possible engine oil,

possible gearbox oil,

possible power steering fluid ( unlikley )

possible brake fluid

possible engine coolant

check all your oil levels to see if you see a low level somewhere . . .

++++

that defo needs looking at urgently though. ( any oil leak is a massive concern )

maybe take it to any local garage just to get it up on a ramp and have the covers removed and see what they say. . . . then decide on how to procced.

++++

jeez . . does it smell like diesel?

can you get it up on ramps?

or jack and stands?

the leak may be else where and running to the lowest point. ( you will need to remove the lower plastics to see better)

Yeah, pretty sure it smells of diesel. Could be wrong but it's what I'd consider to be diesel.

Got no ramps or tbh time as work is busy, (thankfully don't need to drive!) so garage round the corner in the morning if they can fit me in.

I took a look in engine bay with flashlight and couldn't see anything obvious there although won't rule anything out.

Checked dipstick and low but expected as light was on last week.

No other warning lights or on carista showing up.

oh, thats not good.

when was the last service? - how many miles ago.?

ie - have you done 12000 miles since last service, so the engine has used some oil . . . so it needs toping up a litre.

or

are you - done the service 1000 miles ago and are leaking oil from the engine

Last service about 9 months ago.

When the light came on I wasn't majorly surprised even though i don't do a loads of miles, 204 dsg.

Do you have a night heater?
Yes, attached to tank.

Just had word from the garage that they need to drop the diesel tank to get to where the problem is. Glad I didn't just fill up at these prices.

Problem is they haven't got time to be fit me in until 1st August, the week before the drive to Garda. FFS, the 2 year old holiday is doomed on so many levels.

Back